Ive Advertised in Local Tack Shops....What now?

NoviceNic

Sexy Dressage Pony
May 7, 2003
On my horses back...
Visit site
I have a 11 3hh pony that needs to be ridden. Ive put adverts up in local tack shops but have only received one phonecall. Ive even spoken to a local YO to see if they have any decent lightweight rider that may be interested. But no one has materialised.

Surely it isnt this difficult to let someone have free rein of a pony....:confused:

Do you have a local pony club, we have two children in ours at the mo who are trying to find a pony to ride at rallies etc, but are unable to manage a full loan. Contact the DC and I'm sure she would have a little jockey who is desperate for some extra riding.

How about at Jaz's school, any kids there who dont have a pony who would love to ride. Ask if you can put on school newsletter (for a small fee towards the latest fund raiser):D

Advert on local riding school notice board.

Got to be loads out there, kids around here are desperate for a pony to ride.

Echo colang pony club DC good place to start.
Have you advertised in your local ad trader? that normally gets a good response:)
Is there a country wide near you? most horsey people venture there at some point i have always had a very good response to ads put up in there

Pony Club sounds a good idea to me. And riding schools which have holiday clubs or pony cub branches.

But how are you wording your ads?
I would say why you are looking for a rider.
And if the pony is safe for a child rider, I'd say that too.

Otherwise one might wonder why you need a rider? I've twice seen RS ponies brought to demos by skilled young (student age) riders who have been riding them because they are "naughty" - being used to passenger child riders and taking decisions for themselves.

I keep an eye on local share ads and they seem to fall into two categories.

Owners with good reason to share and an attractive horse to offer - who want a sharer to cover part of the cost or so their horse gets exercised while they are pregnant or at work.

And owners who want a sharer to train or improve their problematic horse. Or to exercise an elderly, semi-retired horse for which they themselves no longer have time.
This second group may attract some riders. But not me.

There are a lot of ads at the moment from people looking for a sharer. It could be that while the kids are in school and the weather still bad, supply outstrips demand. You have to compete with them. And to word your ad so that it is attractive to the type of rider whom you'd like to have?

Hmmm Pony Club may be a good idea. However Lincs being in the middle of no-where Im not sure there is one local. :(

I will try the other RS here in Boston. And make sure that my adverts are still up at the local tack shops. :)

i can't imagine many riding schools would let someone advertise on their premises to 'poach' their clients though! i think tack shops, feed merchants, pony club would be better bets.

also i do know several people trying without luck to find child riders for their tiddly ponies - there are plenty of little ponies about, and it does seem that supply is more than demand really.

Hmm that was my concern Mehitabel. I dont want to poach. The sad thing is though if I dont get a rider for him then I may as well just sell him. I hate to see him in the field doing nothing. Im sure he doesnt mind but it would be such a waste for a stunning little ponio. I'd like to put a smile on a kiddies face and see rossettes dripping from him. Someone who can be proud of him and give him hugs and kisses. Of course he loves my kisses but I see the look in his eyes when my nephews come up and ride him once in a blue moon. He loves kids to bits. :)

well, maybe selling would be a good thing for him then? if any of the schools do livery to an acceptable standard, perhaps approach them with a view to any of their clients who are looking to buy.

Just spoken to a local RS. They would be happy for me to advertise for the pony on their board. I explained to them that I am open to options. Free time here at my home, loan with a view to buy etc and that I just want a happy pony. They are fab with the idea and will let me advertise there. So Im off up at the weekend to put the ad up.

Thanks Mehitabel. Fingers crossed I find someone who enjoys time with him. :D

newrider.com