I've been naughty

Joyscarer

Dec 30, 2006
Hampshire
I shouldn't be riding until next Friday thanks to having surgery nearly 6 weeks ago but I couldn't resist.

I should have worked with Joy on the ground first, lunged or long reined but the mood took me so I set off round the block in the wind knowing what she can be like at her worst and that I could just hop off if I physically wasn't coping.

Joy, well Joy was Joy really. Very keen. I didn't have anywhere close to my usual core strength and this meant that although I coped I was far too reliant on the reins and riding like a beginner. Joy was joggy as she wanted to have a good old blast, or at least have a good old power trot. I just wanted a walk and gentle trot to find out what I could do given I haven't ridden in nearly 2 months.

We were only for 25 mins and she was in forward mode and more than fit enough to keep it going for at least an hour without issue. I was very reliant on reins and not capable of giving effective cues and containing the energy through my core and Joy wasn't appreciative, it just wound her up and up came her head in evasion.

So, now what to do? I can start core strengthening exercises on Friday as it'll have been 6 weeks but its going to take some time to regain my previous levels. Do I ride anyway but choose a longer ride we can mostly power trot to get it out of her system and gets fed up so she settles for future rides. I am capable of being just a passenger and to just exercise her without being concerned about her way of going and then correct that at a later date when I'm capable? Do I wait until I have some core strength and only then start to ride so that I can start riding her as I mean to go on?

I'm really concerned about Joy gaining weight again as the spring grass is here and I don't have a school but the fields are too soggy to lunge, long rein or free school in. Also, I'm really keen to get back in the saddle again. Would it be fair to Joy to concentrate on raising her fitness and then going on to schooling at a later date and work on correcting bad habits she'll have got away with and expecting her to carry herself better. Would I just be ruining her mouth?

I have a myler combination which will dissipate pressure so its not just her mouth and she was great off her nose when we used the Indian Bosal so I an hopeful she'll be lighter in that. I could try it and stop riding if I feel like I'm ruining her mouth.

I don't know what to do. I'm very conscious that I'm not thinking clearly and just desperate to get out and about again, as is she.

Well I think you are very naughty but I have to say I did the same thing after I broke my arm.

As to you other issues. IMO (I hate saying) I would not allow my horse after a 6 week break to power trot if I could not hold the energy through my core as this will makje joy hollow through her back raising her head and not working from behind plus you on board not being able to hold yourself in the correct fashion will mean that you will bouce on her back. You will not mean to but losing so much core strength you will either do more damage to yourself as you try and hold your self which will also mean you will hold tension else where.

I know you want to get back to enjoying Joy and wanted to get her fit but this could actually do more damage to yourself and Joy than just leaving her until you can lunge. Nothing wrong with getting on and walking but for fun if you can hold her from trotting that is. You have spent so much time getting Joy how you like her is it worth ruining it now

Remember this is short term your health and her back are long term.

newrider.com