I've decided, it'll be G2's ... BUT ...

Stormin

Jun 28, 2007
Export - GMT+1
I've decided to equip my monster with Old Mac's G2 (front and hind because he's a bit of a sensitive soul).
I'm waiting for the next farrier visit to rasp his feet to be able to take some nice and meaningful measurements.

BUT

I see that there's an offer for the moment, the boots being supplied with free gaiters. Should I be thinking about ordering some pastern wraps too ?
Stormin is somewhat 'thin skinned' and I don't want to risk him getting rubbed at all.
If the pastern wraps are equivalent to socks, then what are the gaiters ? :eek:

What sizes do you need? I have a pair of size 5 and 6, used but reasonable condition.

The gaiters and pastern wraps are both 'socks', can't remember which way around it is but think the gaiters are the nice easy to put on neoprene and velcro things and the pastern wraps are the incredibly annoying and impossible to put on things.

Bobbin - I might possibly be interested in the 6s if stormin isn't, need to check measurements after she's had a pedicure at the weekend.

The pastern wraps are like neoprene sweat bands if you can picture that...

trying to get them onto Js 16cm wide feed was akin to the camel through the eye of a needle trick... i thought i was going to have to cut them off but somehow i managed shift them - i must have eaten my spinach that day!

are the gaiters the same as the ones for boa boots?!

They are the same as for Boas. They are a lot easier to use with old macs than they are with boas. Trying to put the gaiters + boas on resulted in my boas flying across the yard and being ebayed and replaced with old macs :D

yup, i gave up with the gaiters too... can imagine they are far easier to get on with the macs and they do offer a lot of coverage so would be a good way forward i think :)

I have the neoprene and velcro things with my Old Macs, don't know if they're called pastern wraps or gaiters?

I haven't used them until recently, and found them easy to put on... just stick the hard flat bit in the bottom of the boot and fold the neoprene back over the back of the boot, insert horse's foot, ask him to stomp down and do up the velcro. Then start fiddling with all the other bits of velcro which make us love Old Macs so much :rolleyes: not to mention the lovely buckle strap :)

I could have found them easier because we'd already broken in the boots quite well so they're not as stiff as when they were new?

I never got rubs even when boots were new (hence never using the neoprene thingys), but our hacks are now a lot longer so wanted to be safe rather than sorry...

Well if anyone is interested then PM me. Want about £30 a set.

As for the whole pastern wrap gater thing. The gators are loads easier to put on but wouldn't stay done up around Brys feathers so would just flap about. Once you get the hang of the pastern wraps they are ok and my girl was an angel to have them put on and off.

gaitors = the things with the flat bit and the velcro - easy with old macs evil with boas

pastern wraps = no velcro - easy with dainty hooves, nailbreakers with big hefty feets.

thats right, isn't it?!? :p

Thanks to you all for your experiences.
I think I'll get the gaiters too - for the postage and packing, it'd be easier in one big order.

Bobbin - thanks for the offer for the boots. I can honestly say that I have absolutely no idea what size I need and farrier isn't due for another few weeks. If you have an offer, go for it. If not and if they are the right size, then I could well PM you :D

Quick update

Well, here we are. After having feet rasped, taking photos, tracing around feet on paper and measuring with tape measure, ordered my G2s.

They arrived today, size 2 for the fronts and size 3 for the hinds.
Stormin was such a good boy with his feet in freezer bags trying on the boots in his stable. Can't wait for the weekend to get him "out and about" in his boots, progressively of course ;) .

Totally reassured of having taken the barefoot decision when I saw the boys cross the field flat out this evening.
NO more lost shoes, no more shoe hunting (!)

The only thing now is to get to grips with putting the hoofboots on in a minimum amount of fuss and time - guess it's a question of habit :)

Big thanks to all of you who have given advice and shared your experiences.

newrider.com