I've had brake failure, any idea?

Kc..

Nov 7, 2007
North Cotswolds
www.casseywatson.co.uk
I took Lantern to a 2-phase today, in the main he was very well behaved.

I kept him in a snaffle as i always do, we do everything in a snaffle inc hunting, funrides, showjumping actually everything. He currently in a sweet iron loose ring snaffle with copper bits (technical me) it has quite a narrow mouthpiece to try and kelp him a bit. He had bad teeth when i got him so he seems to remember the pain and opens his mouth a lot.

He seems so much more comfortable in this, i've also taken away the grackle and we're now in a cavesson. SO pretty simple, snaffle & cavesson.

However today we seemed to have total brake failure. He jogged around the showjumping and wouldn't really come back to me after the fences then he was so strong round the XC. Now out hunting he gets strong but usually he'll come back to me. I've never seen anything like it, mind you he was eager i don't think any ears flicked back at anypoint he was loving it. But anyway do you think it's 'cus i've taken away the grackle?

But then i've not had any negative effects at home. in fact hte opposite?

Possibly the effect of the competition atmosphere made him a bit fizzy, and he realised you had a bit less restraint that usual and got a bit of a rocket up his bum?

I'm not that good at this, took me a while to find brakes just for hacking! Someone cleverer come along :eek:

Have you thought about trying bitless? My boy has a really sensitive mouth but when he is bolting and I pull on the reins he runs faster to get away from the pain of a bit (even the mildest). I looked into bitless bridles and decided on the Nurtural bridle which worked like a charm on him as it puts pressure on the whole head so there are no individual sore spots. That said, the ex racehorse I used to share used to bolt in it :rolleyes:so it works better for some than others.

For an emergency break I find pulling the head to a side always works as a horse will not run where it cannot see fully and if they turn they need to slow down to balance.

The grackle may have covered up an existing problem, so if you haven't had his teeth checked again recently then I'd have it done. he may not be sued to it; practise schooling in it, and maybe try other variations of a snaffle. That said, he may just prefer the "support" of the grackle.

x

I wouldn't be in a rush to put the grackle back on if he still performs well at home in a simple set up. How was your position when you realised he wasn't coming back to you? i'd try plenty of transition work at home and give him time to adjust to the snaffle at competitions, before expecting too much from him. If he's just a little excited in the ring but not dangerous in any way, i'd persevere, i certainly would be in no rush to put something more severe on him until you've ruled out some simple extra schooling work with him. good luck

I have considered bitless, it's just they aren't cheap. However i think it might be something to look into.

He's had his teeth checked but as i said in OP when i got him they were in a bad way (hadn't been done in 4years) and i think it all stems from that. He was opening his mouth when i tried to stop and my steering wasn't too good either. May look into bitless...

Cus trust me i have tried nearly every variation of snaffle you can get!

Oh and also i have schooled him a hell of a lot in it i haven't just put it on and taken him, i've jumepd etc in it. He has shown before and hunted but this time i just seem to not have quite so much control. He doesn't need anything stronger (if he can hunt in a snaffle he can prance around at a show in one!!).

When one of mine uncharacteristicly tank off with me, i discovered that she had eaten thistles (her favorites) which had made her mouth sore, and me pulling on the snaffle must have caused immence pain. I felt soooo guilty for days. Something so simple as an insect sting could have similar effect

Bless him! Sounds like he was having fun! hehe.

Try a continental. Can be used as a normal snaffle and has the extra ring if he gets a bit strong. You can always put it on the lower ring at first then if he's not as strong bring it back up to use as snaffle. :)

Bits control a horse through pain - or at least, well trained, well ridden horses learn how to avoid that pain, so the bit controls them with the threat of pain. I disagree with this method of training & very much disagree with using something heavier, just because the pain-causing device you have currently isn't working. Training is the answer.

As for bitless being expensive(??) a rope halter costs me about $5 to make, but you can get them for not that much more.

A bitless isn't a rope halter :confused:
I htink it was just a case he was having a lot of fun, and wundahoss he has been schooled 3times a week for nearly a year now sometimes even more than that. He is very sensible and goes well in a snaffle which is why he's in a snaffle. When i got him his previous owner had him in an american gag so i'm hardly the bad guy here!

Bitless might be different here to where your from but they're designed to place pressure in different places that they then interpret as a cue to stop or turn. I certainly wouldn't be able to take him hunting in a rope halter that everytime i try and turn moves round his face and eventually rubs himwhen i'm trying to stop.

ETA: i'd rather change his biting slightly meaning i can stop without too much hassle than have to haul on his mouth in a snaffle ;)

If he jumped fine with grackle on but runs through the bit with grackle off at comps the put grackle back on. ;)
It may take a while longer to get him relaxed enough at comps to do without like at home.

IF the horse is in pain then fair point. But it doesnt sounds like he is to me. Sounds like he was having fun! If you know your own horse then you should know him well enough to know whether he is in pain or just rushing, and sure enough that comes with time and training.

A continental is a very gentle bit in comparison to others but just gives a little bit more control if he gets a bit giddy! see if you can lend one to see how he takes to it :)

Think i moght try him with the grackle back on see how we go. Will look into that continental though & the bitless. And no he wasn't in pain, i don't really consider jogging with his ears pricked 'in pain', does he looks like he isn't enjoying it?

5135_95402244238_588139238_1845782_.jpg

:)

I find pulling the head to a side always works as a horse will not run where it cannot see fully

Actually, the only places a horse cannot see (because of the positioning of the eyes) is straight in front and straight behind, so they have an even better view of where they are going if their head is to the side. The one-rein stop is effective because you are disengaging the hind quarters-if you stop one side, the other can't keep going.

Even though its not a problem at home, you may find working on this in a safe environment to be the best prevention of a future occurence. Train your horse to yield its head to the side on the ground then ridden at halt. Try a few strides of walk, then do it again. Once you have this, try at trot and canter. It will take a few sessions, but well worth the investment in time when you know you have effective power-braking! Good luck!:)

He is stunning!!!

Its worth just trying different things with him. They're such temperamental animals some of them.:)

newrider.com