January Blues

mu0ljk

Nov 27, 2014
*WARNING!*
This is a self indulgent rant! :mad::D
I hate this time of year, every winter I totally wuss out of jumping and it really frustrates me!
I know it's because I don't ride as much due to weather and the light but still! Grr!
I set up three jumps in the school, warmed up and then stopped to shorten my stirrups - Otto's ears flicked back to me and I could feel him getting excited (ooh! Jumpies!!). Picked up canter, chose the smallest and he jumped it beautifully! A textbook jump....and then I wuss out and couldn't jump any more! Somebody please give me a shake and tell me to put my big girl pants on and get on with it! :oops::(

Book yourself into a clinic and/or enter a competition. I have got a XC clinic with a local trainer, a XC/SJ camp with Ben Hobday (EEEEEEKKKK) and a BRC camp booked. Plus Osberton horse trials in March. Just enter stuff then you'll have to get on with it!! I'd never do anything if I didn't keep hooking into external events and then scaring myself into training for the events.

Reactions: squidsin and mu0ljk
To start with you're not the only one! I'm the same, can feel myself getting nervous and think I'll stop and finish it on that. What helps me is thinking how gutted I'll be if I don't do it, also telling myself to make the most of having a fit sound horse as we all know with horses they can go wrong at any time, and I'd really regret not making the most of it if something went wrong. Are you having any lessons? I think the key is regular lessons with a firm but sympathetic instructor who can help you build up to be more confident. Also just keep doing it the more you do the better it gets. This definitely helps, in May last year I was jumping 70/80cm XC jumps by September I was jumping novice fences just by going out regularly and doing it.

Reactions: mu0ljk
Being nervous is normal. Maybe get yourself back into jumping by having them all the same height. Then increase the height next time.
If you ride less the horse won't be as fit either.

Getting an RI is a good idea, that voice of encouragement in the ground, or going to clinic etc. I wouldn't be booking myself into events then scare myself training for it though, especially over sold jumps. That suggests I am over estimating my ability, I won't enjoy any of it and I could make a costly error.

Don't put pressure on yourself, also don't book things to force yourself to do it. Why not get in touch with an instructor that deals with nervous personalities and address why you get like this, stop the cycle and then you can relax as from your post you sound as though because you know it's coming it makes you feel worse.

We all lose our mojo due to different things, but don't just do it because you feel you should. Address why you have a drop in confidence or mojo and then go from there. We do this for our own enjoyment, well most of us do, not just to show other people we can :)

Book yourself into a clinic and/or enter a competition. I have got a XC clinic with a local trainer, a XC/SJ camp with Ben Hobday (EEEEEEKKKK) and a BRC camp booked. Plus Osberton horse trials in March. Just enter stuff then you'll have to get on with it!! I'd never do anything if I didn't keep hooking into external events and then scaring myself into training for the events.

I've had a lesson with Ben Hobday at his old place in Lancashire - I won it in a raffle. I expected him to be rather condescending, imagining he is used to teaching people with a serious ambition to event and here's me on a freebie, a middle aged woman on a flouncy little Arab, with no burning ambition to jump other than for fun. He was lovely though, very energetic and enthusiastic, and gave me a great lesson. He even had us jumping properly by the end of it - I can still hear him shouting "Now he's jumping!" One of the highlights of my riding career :D

Thank you everyone! No I'm not currently having lessons, I want to but I had a lovely RI who understood both me and the horse and sadly she has moved away! I've had a couple of lessons with somebody but I'm not sure she 'got' us, so I'm still on the hunt for a new RI!

It's just so frustrating as I know I can do it and I know Otto can, and is chomping at the bit (so to speak!) to get over the jumps. I also know that by the summer I will be busy back out competing at local rc competitions. Daft nerves!

ETA Ben Hobday is local to me so maybe I might look into joining one of his clinics!

I wouldn't be booking myself into events then scare myself training for it though, especially over sold jumps. That suggests I am over estimating my ability, I won't enjoy any of it and I could make a costly error.

Maybe 'scare' was the wrong word! I've jumped double clear the last 3 times out so I think I am competing at an appropriate level. And I do enjoy it thoroughly. BUT I can never make myself do anything by myself. I can go to a clinic, jump certain fences and then go back to the same venue on my own, and those same fences have suddenly morphed into giant terrifying obstacles and I won't let myself do them. I can book a XC venue for schooling and end up doing nothing which is very frustrating. But if I have another XC event coming up, somehow I can use the motivation of that to get me to overcome my fear. And the trainers I use are good at the 'get on with it' school of teaching which is what I need. Though I appreciate this does not suit everyone.

@mu0ljk , I have seen you posting photos of hunter trialling. You are more than capable. So getting entered might be enough impetus to get your mojo back. Works for me anyway!

ETA Ben Hobday is local to me so maybe I might look into joining one of his clinics!

And to me! Where are you? Maddy Moffet is my favourite local trainer. She is FANTASTIC with nervous riders. Knows just how far to push and is so encouraging. She does regular clinics so book in!

Yes finding the right instructor is key, maybe try a few others I'm sure you'll find "the one" Perhaps your old riding instructor could recommend someone.

Winter doesn't help, I'm struggling to keep motivated and in turn that makes me loose my nerve as I'm riding less. This week I've got back into it and really making myself ride, I've entered a few events which gives me motivation.

I get what @KP nut means I don't think she means sign up for things that you aren't capable of, more that if you're entered for something it means you have to put the work in and in turn the nerves go you feel better. I'm the same and more likely to have a go at stuff if I've got things to aim for, if I haven't I'll pootle around and chicken out. It is possible to gain confidence quite quickly I had a break from jumping last year came back and was nervous jumping really small stuff I've gone from putting down 70cm for rallies to being in the 1/1.10 group within about 3 months. I'm the same that I know I can do it and I know he can it's just the doing it bit.

Second Maddy Moffet very encouraging! They used to do regular clinics with her at Beaver Hall not sure if they still do. I think Vicky Bentley still does clinics up there, personally I never found her as good as Maddy.

Ditto finding the right RI. I found mine through the RC. A few friends don't find her great for jumping but I do. Not that I have had a jumping lesson for over a year.

If it's nerves could you focus on polework and raised poles. Or jumping a course of raised poles and work on something else, like your position, transitions etc.
I love doing things with poles.

@KP nut I completely get what you are saying and I agree it definitely helps me too by entering something! I suffer from the jump daft stuff out and about but try and recreate it at home and it looks a mahoosive wall! I tried again tonight and it all went a bit pants so I'm going to try and have a jumping lesson with the person I used before this weekend - I've not had many with her and I didn't have any specific aims so I will give her another go I think. I'm round Winsford/Middlewich way so not that far from Somerford. :)

I will have a look for Mandy Moffat thanks for the recommendations KP nut and @Lissie . I've had a friend recommend David Llewelyn as well - he has some clinics over at Huntersgate and I think he comes out for private lessons too. Has anyone had any lessons with him?

Also if you know anyone that rides too? I have a few friends who I can go riding with and sometimes booking a ride in with them motivates me to ride and also if we go to a local place with jumps sometimes having a play with a friend there helps with your confidence too?

newrider.com