January: Confess - what did your horse cost you?

Stella2

Aug 5, 2001
North East England
Visit site
I signed up to the website 'Manage My Horse at the beginning of the month, because my finances were getting away from me a bit and I needed to take control :eek: I listed everything (except wagon, fuel for wagon and fuel for car to get to the yard because they don't count :eek: ). So now I know what I spend. It does make stop, think and ask myself "is that really necessary"?

Janaury for Flora = £577.60 :eek:

Now come on guys, its like a church confessional - out with it. What has yours cost? I need to know its not just me .....

im going to do this!
will get back to you next month!!!

this year ive spent
£350 - new saddle
£140 - rent
£20 - water
£20 - feed
£10 - tack room accessories
thats like *counts* £540 :O
xxx

£62.35 for 2 horses :p
however- i've only had to by feed.... next month i'll have the farrier out....

Janaury for Flora = £577.60 :eek:

Now come on guys, its like a church confessional - out with it. What has yours cost? I need to know its not just me .....

JESUS CHRIST ALMIGHTY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kai

Livery £90
Hay £25
Feed £9.00
NFU £28.00

um £500 ish for livery and hay and straw and extra services x2 horses (DIY)
£45 on food (one is on blue chip - gold nugget more like)
£10 on apples and carrots - night time fruit salad pudding
£55 on shoeing for the big un - £0 for the small one as she is barefoot hurrah

For 2 ponies, so far for january:

£134.34 livery
£35.00 farrier

Thats it I think?:confused: February will be worse as I will have : Seems to vary every month depending on what we are due for and what has run out!

£134.34 livery
£27.00 top spec
£59.00 cortaflex
???? nobute
???? magox
£15.00 wormer

Well let's see...

livery = £88 (its full DIY)
hay = £60
straw = £15
feed = £25
new rug = £45 (old one ripped in field)
neck cover = £28 (that I ordered in Nov finally came in)
farrier = £55
clip = £20 (no clippers of my own)
vets bill = £120 (had respiratory infection)
horse ins = £35

That's £491, my God, know wonder I'm skint ... :eek

Oh next month will be foul
2 friends 18th birthdays :(
farrier out - luckily his feet are hard enough not to be shod so thats like £20 and he needs worming

Hey everyone hope you are using the site for everything else too, like storiing the medical records, dental records, farriery and hoof care, competitions, weight and worming, vaccinations and feed stuff to name but a few .... lol You don't have to use the expenses page if it's too frightening honest! I didn't create it to frighten you all off:D

You can single out any expense too in the report section so you could go into reports select any two dates and an expense and it will tell you instantly what you've spent on that expense over that period, so hay cost last year vs this year etc.:mad:

Really hope it's helping though and I added the expenses so you could budget, knowing what he costs 'should' make it easier I hope!! :D

RAMBO
livery £60
hay £18
feed £20
supplements £100 (but last for many months)
colic £148
teeth removal & float £143
new fleece £22
new m/w £50
new h/w £60
horslyx £19.00

LIBBY & LUCY
freeeeeeee

Oh lordy lord, do I REALLY want to admit this to myself? :eek:

I'm going to put the prices but not what they're for because that would take too long!

£460 + £45 + £110 + £40 + £27.50

So that would be a grand total of.... £682.50

Poor HSBC :(

Sammii, please tell me that is for one horse - I notice that some people are lumping together costs for more than one horse (not allowed ;) )! Anyway if it is, it makes me feel better :D

Denbenj - she had the physio and there was a discount on her supplements so I bought 3 packs :eek: I can't list the other things because it wouldn't be good for my health for me to face what I spend on lessons :eek: Oh God I forgot NFU, with that its about £610. Lets just say that doesn't count like wagon expenses and diesal for getting to the yard!!

Cate - I am using the medical section etc- very useful :) How do I get a total for monthly expenditure?

Come on Martini55, you know it'll be good for you :D

Oh hubby not to see this:)
livery £100- inclusive of hay and straw- really lucky on that one

hard feed- £18.00
Respiratory lick- £10.00
Various licks to stop boredom- £15.00
Farrier today- £50.00
petrol £50
money on sweets to bribe kids to come and put horse to bed- £25
New rug £35
Wormer- £12
DAILY carrotts and apples- approx £1.00 A DAY- £28.00
Joint supplement £16.99

gosh for me that is for me an average month-:eek: Total- £359.99- AND I KNOW that is pretty good compared to some

Cate - I am using the medical section etc- very useful :) How do I get a total for monthly expenditure?

Come on Martini55, you know it'll be good for you :D

Stella

Go into 'My Reports' click create horse report .... select the horse or horses. click next, select the expense, group of expenses or ALL expenses. If you select all expenses you will only see the ones you actually use of course. then select 2 dates say last month and this month or any two dates at all, click generate report and it will detail and add up all of your expenses!! viola

In the exact same way you can create a report for anything you have stored you know. So if you have been adding his medical notes and the vet is coming you go to reports select journal report, select any of the journals, say medical select the dates and again it will print out everything you have written and noted during that time, my vet is sooo impressed and it making better judgements based on accurate information.

Finally for everyone on manage my horse, if your expense or income (i wished) isn't on the preset lists, select OTHER from the dropdown, then type in what it is the box next to it named 'other; and that item will then appear in your list from then on so you don't have to add it everytime. ;)

I'll be on here tonight if there are any other questions?? :)

My horse cost me £850 26 years ago.

Since then, if I average his keep at £40 a week (which is cheap and doesn't include extras) or £2,000 a year

He has cost me

£52,850
:eek::eek::D

a mortgage then ...... I always said taking on a horse was like taking on a mortgage and I have three eek!

You could buy a three bed terrace house in burnley for that (yes I did watch under the hammer this morning) sorry did I just admit that?? The hourse was £38k by the way (just to make you feel better)

Not that it would be anywhere near as lovely as a horse :) (love, swoon all my boys)

newrider.com