Jaw swollen on one side of face, and weepy eye..

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
My youngster had an accident last year, where he cut his cheek open (2 inch gash, was stapled).. He healed pretty well, and it took the swelling 12 months to go down..
The other day, he had a weepy eye, and I cleaned it.. the cheek bone was fine.. today though it seems more prominent and I'm not happy with it.. Could he's sinus be causing his cheek to do this? It's defo not right, as his profile (looking from front) looks lob sided:help:
My first conclusion is that his sinus maybe blocked, hence the swelling.. it's feels hard to the touch, like bone, but it was like this when he cut it last year, so structural swelling is involved..
His eye looks ok, no redness, wasn't gunky like the other day, just very wet where the fluid had ran from the corner of the eye over the cheek bone..

I know this might not be what it is but Maya has a bump on her face and its hard like bone. I asked my vet and she said not to worry as it's quite common in youngsters.

She said that when they are young their skulls are like a jigsaw and aren't properly fused together. The bump is just the skull fusing together like a healing fracture.

Her head looks lob sided too. It's been their ages now; about a year! It just appeared one day.

I know this might not be what it is but Maya has a bump on her face and its hard like bone. I asked my vet and she said not to worry as it's quite common in youngsters.

She said that when they are young their skulls are like a jigsaw and aren't properly fused together. The bump is just the skull fusing together like a healing fracture.

Her head looks lob sided too. It's been their ages now; about a year! It just appeared one day.

Could be that :biggrin: I don't think it's his teeth as it involves the cheek bone below the eye socket.. it has just appeared, had me scratching my head, as he's not banged it, other wise it would have been tender to the touch..

It could be worth getting the vet to have a look if he's had an injury there?

Inca gets swollen cheeks when her salivary glands come up, which seems to be more often that not at the moment!

Have you got any pics?

It could be worth getting the vet to have a look if he's had an injury there?

Inca gets swollen cheeks when her salivary glands come up, which seems to be more often that not at the moment!

Have you got any pics?

Not at the moment, though did think about that.. it's on the side where the eye's weeping so think they may be connected.. he's got an appointment coming up (in the next week or so), to go for surgery, and if it's still swollen then, I'll get them to check it out, perhaps arrange a full health check whilst he's there.. It's not bothering him, so I'll keep an eye on it, unless it changes in which case I'll get them out before then :smile:

If you're worried, & given his history, I'd get the vet to have a look. I hope it's nothing x.

You know, this one has always caused me a lot more worry than the big lad.. seems to get himself into the odd scrap.. recently taking a wall out when he slipped.. getting tangled in fencing when the mare next door wants a seeing to (happened last spring when he was 9 months old and no bigger than a grey hound and on a different yard)... yep.. the grey hairs are coming:wink:

You know, this one has always caused me a lot more worry than the big lad.. seems to get himself into the odd scrap.. recently taking a wall out when he slipped.. getting tangled in fencing when the mare next door wants a seeing to (happened last spring when he was 9 months old and no bigger than a grey hound and on a different yard)... yep.. the grey hairs are coming:wink:

Snap!!!!!

Mine, who is similar to your lad has caused me ten times more stress than her mother! If there is something to get tangled in, she is tangled in it

newrider.com