Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

Jess' knee - WWYD?

Discussion in 'Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies' started by Jessey, Apr 16, 2018.

  1. Jessey

    Jessey Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2004
    Messages:
    18,841
    Likes Received:
    9,620
    Sorry this became an essay :oops: On 17 march, that snowy weekend, Dan escaped his quarantine into the field next to Jess and either he kicked her under the fence (but no sign of that on her leg) or she slipped/tripped titting about and there has been on/off swelling knee down since, she hasn't been lame on it once.

    Week 1 - small pen rest - the swelling was gone after 4 days
    Week2 - field rest
    Week 3 - I rode gradually building it up. Thursday of that week we went for a longer ride (2 hours) and she was a complete tit, it was fine when we got back and 4 hours later but slightly swollen again the following day, went down with icing. I field rested her but over that weekend a hard lump appeared on her knee (outside at the bottom, at the very, very top of the splint bone kind of place)
    Week 4 - Vet was out on Tuesday but wasn't sure if it was kick, strain/bursitis or arthritis suddenly giving a problem but confirmed she is totally sound and couldn't get any reaction from her on manipulation so said keep icing it and keep riding her and we will investigate if she goes lame.

    She remains sound, rode Thursday for 45 mins walk and unavoidable jogging :rolleyes: and it was fine, a tiny bit of swelling Saturday, not on the knee lump but below it. Rode yesterday for 60 mins and she was again a tit, so quite a bit of trot and bouncy canter :rolleyes: again it was fine after, and 4 hours later but there is some swelling below it again this morning. She is showing no signs of not wanting to work, she comes to me in the field, she is normal on the roads and very forward going in the forest and not trying to cut towards home or anything.

    We are meant to go to the coast/beach next Thursday for 4 days, we'll probably be doing 10 miles a day (there a group of us going), I suspect it will mostly be walk/trot, apart from on the beach :D The vet blessed it and I really trust her opinion, but I also don't want to push my luck given the previous lameness issues Jess had (in the other leg).

    So my options;
    1. Continue as normal and keep icing and hope the swelling is nothing.
    2. Limit work for the next week (20 mins walk only), keep icing, then put in a bigger ride next weekend & see.
    3. Field rest for this week, ice and ride next weekend & hope.
    And/or one of the above plus;
    4. Bute for the swelling (don't need it for pain relief as she is sound)
    5. Start hacking my friends horse as a back up plan
    6. Kineso tape the leg
    7. Add a natural anti-inflammatory (I think I still have some bosweilla but can go get something else, no bute maybe)
    8. something I haven't thought of yet......ideas on a postcard :)
     
    #1 Jessey, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  2. carthorse

    carthorse Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2006
    Messages:
    6,266
    Likes Received:
    1,772
    If it was me & there's another horse I can take then that's what I'd do. If you're going to take her I see no benefit in backing off the work now, I'd rather be sure she can cope before she goes than have her break down away from home. I'll admit I'm cautious, and if I have doubts I'd rather cancel the holiday than cause injury.

    I'd be reluctant to bute or give boswellia in case it does mask any niggle & means she's exceeds her limit. I know you're talking about giving it in advance of the holiday rather than the actual days, but it can linger in the system for a while.
     
    Pete's Mum and Jessey like this.
  3. Jessey

    Jessey Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2004
    Messages:
    18,841
    Likes Received:
    9,620
    I value your input, that's what my gut says.

    The other horse is a bit of a nutter, rarely gets hacked (schooled a lot) and has never been to the beach or possibly hacked anywhere away from home since she got here 10 years ago as a 3 year old.....at'll be o-right (think Norfolk accent ;)) :p I've actually just heard another horse is not going (due to injury) so there may be a space in the lorry so I could potentially take both horses and see how we go, I don't want to injure Jess but equally the vet said go, we are only an hour from home and I really do prefer my own horse over others :cool:
     
  4. Advert Guest Advertisement



    to hide this advert.
  5. Trewsers

    Trewsers Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2004
    Messages:
    49,315
    Likes Received:
    9,602
    Hmm. I understand what you mean about preferring your own horse. But, I think I might just be cautious and not take her. But then that's probably me being over cautious? I guess if the vet thinks it's okay then yes she technically should be. Hmm. Sorry not much help really!!!!!! I'd probably not be too keen on riding the other horse:oops:
     
    Kite_Rider, Pete's Mum and Jessey like this.
  6. Jessey

    Jessey Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2004
    Messages:
    18,841
    Likes Received:
    9,620
    The nutty horse isn't nasty, just likes to prance and throw herself around :rolleyes: she's only 14.3, she has little person syndrome! :p I've arranged to go and hack her tonight as its been a few years since I sat on her. I do also have the option of the mare I borrowed last weekend but she's older (22) and isn't worked regularly, doing a 1 off 2 hour walk ride is very different to 4 days of beach work so I don't think its fair to take her.
    My friend just said; the vet said its fine, she's sound, so ride her and the sea water will probably help..... argh, so difficult o_O
     
    Trewsers likes this.
  7. Jane&Ziggy

    Jane&Ziggy Learning together!

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2010
    Messages:
    16,628
    Likes Received:
    4,702
    No advice to offer I fear, but good luck with the decision.
     
    Jessey likes this.
  8. Pete's Mum

    Pete's Mum Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2014
    Messages:
    1,317
    Likes Received:
    1,268
    I'd probably decide to not take her now, if it was me - but I'm probably overly cautious.

    Good luck with rlthe decision though :)
     
    Jessey likes this.
  9. Cortrasna

    Cortrasna Grumpy old nag

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2009
    Messages:
    9,918
    Likes Received:
    3,187
    If it was a month away to give you plenty of time to reassess and see how she goes I would base my decision on that. But next Thursday would be a no from me if the workload will be 10 miles a day- even if she appears Ok for the next 7 days the fact you are still getting recurring swelling indicates something is going on and at this point you or your vet don't know what it is, so for me a definite No - but I am overly cautious so probably not the best person to give an opinion. ;)
     
    Jessey likes this.
  10. joellie

    joellie Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2011
    Messages:
    3,218
    Likes Received:
    3,203
    I'm another who would probably not take her, I'm sure you were really looking forward to it and would much rather have Jess there than another horse but I personally wouldn't risk maybe making things worse. It has taken you both a long time to get her where she is in terms of soundness. I'm sure you will make the right decision, you know her best ;)
     
    Jessey likes this.
  11. Star the Fell

    Star the Fell Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2015
    Messages:
    937
    Likes Received:
    668
    It’s swelling for a reason, you just don’t know why.

    I agree with the others. I wouldn’t want to take her on long rides. At most I would keep her moving for 20 minutes or so a day, as sometimes gentle movement does help with injuries.
    Not sure I’d be brave enough to take the alternative horse myself though!
     
    Jessey likes this.
  12. Jessey

    Jessey Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2004
    Messages:
    18,841
    Likes Received:
    9,620
    Well the nutty horse was indeed nutty :rolleyes: she's not nasty but honestly I am just not sure I can be bothered to deal with the antics, its not enjoyable.

    Jess was so full of herself last night, threw a temper tantrum because she thought I was going to give her a new strip of grass and when I didn't threw a gallopy fit, with dozens of those front-legs-locked-straight bouncing stops, lost her back end on a turn and flipped over, the works. Got a slightly swollen leg this morning (no worse than it has been) but lord knows how, is still sound!

    Honestly I feel like if she is doing that she will be fine with slow work :rolleyes: I messaged my vet yesterday and am waiting for a reply as to if she still feels like carrying on is the best option. My first reaction is, like all of you guys, don't do it! but at the same time how often do you see people on facebook etc going against the vets advise and think, why do you pay for a professional and then ignore it based on a bunch of opinions from people you don't really know online (I mean no offense there). The vet is an extremely experienced horse specialist vet at one of the countries top practices, Jess' knees are insured and I've asked twice about imaging and am happy to do it but she doesn't think it necessary at the moment, I trust my vet, she's ace, but like you this doesn't sit easy with me.

    As luck would have it, I have the osteo booked for Thursday anyway so will get her to weigh in too.
     
    #11 Jessey, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  13. chunky monkey

    chunky monkey Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 2, 2007
    Messages:
    3,135
    Likes Received:
    1,092
    If shes prancing round the field. I would take her out each day for a 20 minute hack. 30 at most. You can do 2 miles if you walk and trot. I would mainly walk with the odd trot. I would rather my horse went out to see stuff, that way it's more chilled in the field and reduces the prancing stupidity. A controlled hack is far better than silly antics.
    I would try an hour hack mainly at walk at the weekend. Then the rest of the week back to 20 minutes each day.
    If the leg swells after the hour hack then it would be a no to taking her. But I would consider still doing short hacks each day again to stop sillyness.
    If no then have 4 days to go and ride a spare horse to get use to it before going.
     
    Jessey likes this.
  14. Jessey

    Jessey Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2004
    Messages:
    18,841
    Likes Received:
    9,620
    She's been doing an hour walk/trot without swelling, its when we bring canter in it swells. The vet also said that she was better off in a reasonable amount of controlled work so she doesn't do herself more of an injury in the field being a tit (as she is prone to do :rolleyes:)

    I had a long chat with the vet, she is pretty confident that scans at this point wouldn't really gain us anything, but has agreed to do it in the next week if I want it done to put my mind at rest. She had another look and thinks there is some modification to the lateral collateral ligament due to arthritic changes (because Jess' knees are pretty offset to center), and the swelling is just residual to that. She has recommended 5 days of bute and a topical steroid to settle everything down but has said she can continue normal work (including 10 mile days at the coast) as she is sound, she did say with someone else she might suggest rest but knows that I know her well and won't push her if she isn't 100% on palpitation of the ligament and manipulation of the joint and sound in movement.

    I'm going to order the calmer I used before when she was lame, just to take the edge off of the silliness in the field. And I think, take her, the boys and my push bike to the coast, even if she can only do shorter walking farm rides I can still enjoy it with her and I can take my bike when everyone does the 10 milers (it sure won't hurt my waist line ;)), If I take the little boys too so she can have company if left behind. It's better for me than the other options, I'd hate to break the unfit 22yo with an arthritic shoulder, I want to relax and enjoy it and the nutter won't allow that, and I would have to find alternative horse care as the couple doing the little boys can't cope with Jess. Even if I don't get to ride at all it will be a nice few days away and I can spoil all 3 all day as they are right there :D
     
    Kite_Rider likes this.
  15. Jessey

    Jessey Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2004
    Messages:
    18,841
    Likes Received:
    9,620
    When I say slight swelling, I do mean it's slight, this is it
    30726142_10156247420542246_7215588947550797824_n.jpg
     
  16. Trewsers

    Trewsers Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2004
    Messages:
    49,315
    Likes Received:
    9,602
    @Jessey which calmer do you buy? Thinking along the lines of something for madam as and when she gets released from pony prison!
     
  17. Jessey

    Jessey Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2004
    Messages:
    18,841
    Likes Received:
    9,620
    I used Wendals 'calmer' its the one with chamomile, hops and valerian. Its pretty potent stuff, I only had Jess on a half dose last time to take the edge off and it worked great and lasted for ages, I think 1 20 quid pot lasted me a whole summer :) It didn't make her dopey, but reduced the silly witch moments significantly :)
     
    Trewsers likes this.
The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties

Share This Page