John Whitaker bridles

You're paying for the name as well as the bridle. You have to ask yourself what can this bridle do that another make of (cheaper) bridle wouldn't?​

hi, i have a stubben but some others at my yard have JW stuff. I think the leather is good quality but i do think that you pay for the name. I havnt never clean my bridle and it still looks new!

i bought a made-to-fit bridle for my pony which cost the same as the "branded" tack. It broke-in really nicely and became really supple and i like that in a bridle. you dont get this with "branded" tack unfortunately. However, looking at the handmade bridle now, i wouldnt enter my pony into a show with it as it is showing its age, unlike the "branded" tack.

So, after that very scientific:rolleyes:review, i would say that a JW bridle is a worthwhile investment

amz x

I have stubben, sabre and pessoa bridles, but I'd love a JW, my pessoa has clips on the cheek pieces like some of the JW ones which is so handy for quickly changing the bit, or when out hacking all day, can drop the bit out for my horse to rest and graze during a break.

I have a JW - it was one of the things I managed to bargain in with the price when I bought Jackson ;)

It is by no means new - I don't know how old exactly - but seems nice quality, cleans up well and has pretty brass buckles. It's not showing any signs of wear in the places that matter either and the stitching is good still.

I think it is nice, but not the nicest I have seen by a long shot (would really like a Jaguar one and as mine is brown and new saddle will be black, I might be spending a lot of time on eBay shortly ;) ).

ETA mine is the first one pictured, but cavesson, not flash - no clips, cheek pieces end in a buckle.

Last edited:
We had a JW bridle specially made for our 128cms but when it came the quality of the leather was so bad we said we wouldn't have it, also a lot of people have said there bridles are bad quality.

I love stubben bridlework:)

It is exactly for the reason that all the SJ's in the area have one that I wouldn't.

Out of such types of bridles, I'd have a Stubben or an Otto Schumacher any day. Otto Schumacher bridles are fantastic and different, just cost more than most other bridles.

newrider.com