Joining up

Ella2004

~Ella~Cassie~
Aug 2, 2004
Lincolnshire
How do i join up with my pony? I have read quite alot about it and would like to try it out myself but am unshure what to do and how to go about doing it

There is a Monty Roberts book called "From My Hands To Yours" which according to this page on his website www.montyroberts.com/ju_ask_monty.html is the one that tells you how to do it. The others are good but more about his experiences (I haven't read this one)
Also worth going to see a demo if you can; he is touring UK in October, again details will be on his website. Went to see him last year and it was amazing.

its all about showing the horse that it is better inside the circle with you then on the outside of the school by its self with you ussering it on. Its a great feeling when your pony joins up with you for the first time, im cant join up with my pony properly now because when even i usser him on to the outside of the school then stop he comes plodding back into the middle with me, i think he has worked it all out, most people say he is just always joined up with me as he is such a honest bloke he will plod along with me anywhere, apart from the trailer!!!! :rolleyes:

i sugest u invest in a book by lesley bayley called understanding your horse which has joining up in it and so much more its really interseting, if not try seaching the internet for instrusctions.
love alice xx xx xx

It definitely should NOT take ages to do, and you do not keep on & on until they want to come into you!!!

If your horse/pony doesn't seem to want to join up with you, then do not just keep going on at them, look again at what they are doing & what you are doing - either you are giving them the wrong body language, or you are missing the signs they are giving!

I have never done a join up which took longer than ten minutes - and that was a seriously fiesty one who needed to gallop & buck first!

quote from a richard maxwell book "Sometimes it takes days for a difficult horse to submit and join up with max with compleat confidence" Only doing what i was told!! i dont no as my pony is so dosile it takes about 60 seconds to join up with him!

I really think you ought to watch it being done by an expert.Reading a book isn't enough although if you 've seen it done and understand the principles Monty's is great.It's all to do with eye contact and body language-get it wrong and you could end up confusing the issue

newrider.com