Joint Supplement

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
I am looking into feeding my old mare a joint supplement, i have noticed she seems a bit stiff in the front shoulders, shes 23 so i wouldnt be suprised if she has some arthritis going on in there.

any recommendations? nothing too expensive to start with i think, then if no improvement ill try something more expensive! lol!

Another vote for pernamax.... I've been using it for 4 years now and find the stuff wonderful for my horse who has arthritic pasterns.

A lot of people swear by Pernamax but it is at the more expensive end of the price range. It also comes in fishy / minty tablet form and I struggled to get my two to eat them, either whole or crushed.

If you're just after a basic precautionary joint supplement then you can do a lot worse than ordinary Cortaflex.

How about trying Apple Cider Vinegar? have mine on it, not because of arthritis but his is a shire so I am worring in advance so i cant say if its any good but is used by lots of people to good effect and is very cheap!

I use equiflex which you can get from healthspan online. It works really well for my mare. In fact she was without it for a week (due to a combination of postal strikes and me being unorganised) and she was so stiff! After being back on it for a few days she was back to her spritely self and had a bit of a carry on coming in from the field one day lol!

I use equiflex which you can get from healthspan online.

Me too, I only heard about it through NR and other people saying it was good. One reason I like it is because it's a sensible price, I must say I've never heard of this Pernamax :confused: that's a new one to me.

It's a bit of a minefield really, there are SO many different brands out there, all claiming to be the best and what works well for one horse doesn't necessary work as well on another :eek:

newrider.com