Joint supplements anyone?

Rubic

Equine Karaoke Queen
Apr 15, 2012
Glasgow
I was buying Rubic's low cal feed balancer and decided to try the joint supplement from the same company (horse & pony direct). It has MSM and glucosamine hydrochloride in it.

Does anyone have any experiences with joint supplements?

It's not very expensive (51-57p per day so definitely not as expensive as some on the market) but am I wasting my money??

I suppose the proof is really going to be in the pudding. I will see how she goes on it and once the bag is finished see how she is without it before I decide to buy another or not. I just thought it might help with her recovery.

I have put Kev on Superflex. I had initially chosen Cortaflex, but everyone I spoke to had chosen Superflex. Most said they didn't think it was making that much of a difference.....until they took them off it.

Superflex was the other one I was looking at. It does seem to have more in it than the one I'm currently using but is a little more expensive per day.

Do the horses eat it ok? Rubic stopped eating her NAF general supplement but she seems to like the horse & pony direct joint supplement! I don't want to waste my money if she won't eat it! Might fire NAF an email and ask for a sneaky sample if they'll give me one!!!

I use superflex and turmeric. I checked levels of MSM and the other one in it and it always came out the best. I buy the 2 litre and give 15ml a day. You can get it for £50 from equestrian clearance (£10 cheaper than normal). Don't know if they'll supply samples. I'm sure I asked and they refused.

Kev is happily eating the loading dose (6 scoops rather than the regular 3....they are teeny scoops) in a handful of hifi good doer with a little water. He is actually pretty fussy too, he didn't like the topspec general supp with just chaff.

I asked for a sample to taste test and they were really helpful.

I've contacted NAF. I also asked what the difference is between the liquid and powder. I also feed turmeric but was thinking she could maybe do with something extra now after her accident!

I fed it for a couple of years following a veteran horse talk which said prevention is better than cure, better to get them on a joint supplement early than a bute substitute later in life.. although think we were well on the arthritis road at that point anyway.

I have used Cortaflex, maxiflex, Feedmarks extraflex with rosehips and superflex and came back to superflex as the most noticeable improvment, oh and global herbs move free but that didn't seem to help at all! Feedmarks was probably the next best after superflex.

As a lady from naf, although obviously marketing to me, pointed out in a shop, a few including cortaflex actually list a filler as their first and therefore highest quantity in the pot ingredient. My vet says that anything with glucosamine in is good because there is a lot of evidence that works and that Chondroitin and msm appear to help but there isn't the same research knowledge on them. The quantities are important for how they work and I think it's superflex among others that has them int he right proportions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I think I'll give superflex a try once I've finished this joint supplement! (ponymagic I've emailed NAF but if they can't give me a sample I might get back to you!)

newrider.com