jointed and swivelling stirrup irons

Roz Morris

Sep 5, 2000
Visit site
Has anyone used any ot the jointed stirrup irons on the market? The ones I know of are Dublin's irons with the tilting footplate and the HS Sprenger 4-way swivel irons with black rubber-coated sleeves down the arms. The Sprenger irons are very expensive and there are a number of cheaper copies on the market, but apparently these aren't as flexible as the expensive originals.

The reason I'm asking is I wonder if they'll help me improve my lower leg position. I find it hard to keep my heels down and therefore my calf muscles tend to be slack instead of firm and my aiding probably suffers. I don't have stiff knees or particularly stiff ankles (unless I ride at jumping length and then my ankles do get stiff). But I do get a stiff lower back and feel my seat doesn't follow the movement as well as it should - and one of the claims made for all these jointed stirrups is that they help with shock absorption in the back as well as hips, knees and ankles.

One of the things I have read about the Sprenger irons are that they give you the deep-seated feel you get when you ride without stirrups - I'd be interested to see if anyone's experience agrees!

I do a lot of dressage and I also need to know if these techno-stirrups are legal in competitions!

In short, I'd love to hear from anyone with practical experience of these stirrups, especially the Sprengers. They're hellishly expensive for mere stirrup irons, but if they really were to make a difference I could probably persuade my other half to get them for me for Christmas.

Never tried the Sprenger irons but I bought some Dublin ones thinking they were a good idea. Actually ended up riding with legs & feet flailing in all directions particularly in trot! Don't know if this would improve as you got used to them but I felt completely incompetent and swapped them for some normal ones! Having said that, I know of people who have used the Sprenger ones and say they help particularly if you've got lower back pain.

Hi there,
I use the Sprenger irons and wouldn't be without them. My left leg was crushed in a riding accident and I have no left ankle joint and a smashed left knee. The downward transitions used to be hell as things dislocated with the jarring. The stirrups have stopped all that and made my life a lot more comfortable in the saddle. I do unaffiliated dressage at the moment and have not been pulled for using the irons. I am also unaware of any rule banning them in affilaited competitions, but could be wrong as I only have last years rule book. The cheapest place for them is Throstle Nest Saddlery in Barnsley where they are £82.50. The next cheapest is derby house saddlery who have a web site at £84.50. I persuaded a friend who had back problems to try them and she's been amazed at the difference they have made to her too. I was tempted to try the copies at £50 but I KNOW these work for me so wasn't prepared to risk £50 on something I wasn't sure about. At the end of the day I believe you get what you pay for, and German engineering has always been excellent.Hope this helps.:)

THe one horse i compete on can only be ridden in the owner's saddle, and she has the tilted sturrips on. I HATE them. Yes they do allow your heels to go lower but that won't make them stay there. Your heel constantly bounces at the trot and it is very uncomfortable, and it didn't go away with time. Plus every time my instructor looked at my leg she decided I needed to shorten my sturrips, when in reality it was only that my heel was over extended and that was why i couldn't get up in a jumping position. Now when i show i switch iorns, they are very uncomfortable!

I love my Dublin irons!!!
I have a problem with my knees and find they relief they give brilliant! I have no problems with flailing in trot/canter! They feel like a knife edge underfoot the first few times used but I soon got used to them. Normal irons feel so ungiving and thick now! I like to ride without stirrups anyway. After two+ hours normal irons make me ache in the leg. Would love to try the Sprenger ones to compare!

I have the dublin ones and I don't like them. I bought them for a show and stupidly didn't try them first. Needless to say while jumping a very small clear round course I actually managed to fall off, I didn't like them at all. They are OK for hacking, because they do relieve stiffness and lower back pain, but I feel very insecure in them. No doubt the Sprenger ones are much better, but I'm sticking to my old fashioned ones for now. My back may get sore, but at least I stay on!

I have the Dublin ones and haven't had a problem with them. In fact I find them very comfy. I do just hack about, but mix in abit of schooling, I haven't experienced any of the problems mentioned, I like them.

Lesley

newrider.com