judging dressage tests

horseaholic

Jan 5, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Visit site
I'm thinking of doing a dressage test and wondered how they are judged? Is it the way the horse goes, the expertise of the rider or a combination of both? For a prelim test, would the horse be expected to be on the bit? And how do the percentages work? What is a good/average mark? Thanks - I know nothing about dressage! :eek:

For a prelim test the horse isn't expected to be on the bit as they are for novice horses/riders but I guess you would pick up more marks if your horse was going well in general.

You should get a mark sheet at the end of the show, with marks for each section of the test and some marks for your overall position and how the horse went for you.

If you get a copy of the test from the BHS bookshop it has a column down the right to show how many marks are awarded for each part of the test and then the marks at the end for position etc.

If it's your first test then just go in and have a go, it will be a bench mark for you to improve on next time and you can work on your lower scoring movements. Just try to be as acurate as possible with each part, things like making sure your 20m cirlce goes from one side of the school to the other and isn't more of an egg shape!!

The last prelim class I did was won by someone on 80%, but they were way out in front, I came 5th with 65 and I think the marks went down quite a bit from there.

best way to answer your questions is to volunteer to write for a dressage judge. i'd encourage anyone who wants to know what a judge is looking for to do this.

at prelim level, i doubt a judge would expect a horse to be working on the bit, but they would expect there to be no resistance and an element of self carriage. the judge is looking for you to ride a test accurately. you will quickly lose marks for lack of it. they also want to see the horse moving forward from the leg and tracking up nicely, not trundling along going nowhere fast, which is oh so common in classes at my local RC's.

i wrote for a novice champs class (BD affiliated) and you'd be amazed even at that level the lack of self carriage, level of resistance and lack of forward movement from the horses.

The British Dressage test principles say:

PRELIMINARY TESTS
To show that horse and rider are beginning their training on correct classical
lines. They are establishing the first of the Scales of Training with the emphasis
on Rhythm, Suppleness and Contact.
The Rider
Has a balanced upright position
Is supple and able to follow the movement of the horse
Maintains a light elastic contact with the horse’s mouth
Applies clear aids effectively without unnecessary movement.
The Horse
Has regular, pure unhurried paces
Shows rideability and is obedient to the aids of the rider
Accepts a contact with the bit without resistance and tension
Moves willingly forward with active hindquarters
Remains reasonably straight so that his body is aligned along the curve of
circle or turn, or on a straight line. Momentary losses of straightness or
quarters very slightly in are not serious faults at this early stage.
Transitions are smooth and although best if executed at the marker more
weight is given to their correctness than to their accuracy"

I just did my first dressage and got 49.1% (i know all of you experts willl e going oh she must be awful but i am soo proud) all you need to do is do exactly what the test says and have fun!!

As per Willingbe's post is what the judge will be looking for.

The horse is expected to be working on the bit in a prelim outline - quite long and with no great degree of engagement. Small variations in contact and outline should be judged with sympathy.

Anything over 60% is considered reasonable, although at Prelim with young horses on their early outings it is quite common to see scores in the mid 50% range.

The target I set for most people attempting their first test is to score over 50% and to stay in the arena :D

Unaffiliated classes tend to have a wide variety of scores - I've seen very low and very high scores. I will be somewhat more generous in marking unaffiliated classes as compared to affiliated. The whole point is to encourage people, and very low marks tend to be anything but encouraging. It is quite possible to use the range of marks so that the right combination still win, but the lowest scorer does not go out and shoot themselves and the horse, but goes away feeling that they can improve and do better.

I won't annihilate anyone in affiliated classes either but would certainly be a bit stricter - if you've gone to the expense of affiliating you should have some idea of what you are doing and have certain expectations.

To win in affiliated dressage you are looking at needing scores of 65% or higher. Most Prelims are won on scores nearer the 70% mark.

i only got 49.1%, that must be really bad. i am only 14 and my pony is 5 and she was parted from her friend and was upset. but oh well im just no good at riding!

Don't worry - my very experienced horse had tweaked her back in the horse box and scored a very embarrassing 40% when she flung a paddy in a Medium level test - the judge did suggest that I needed some help before attempting this level again which was pretty embarrassing :eek: considering that she had competed at National finals at this level and one of my trainers is a very senior international judge and selector for the British team. It did rather make my day when several weeks later (and one 'fixed' back later) she judged me again and we scored 68% :D

You do need to remember that the judge can only judge what they see on the day.

Lgd said:
You do need to remember that the judge can only judge what they see on the day.

Extreamly good point there. Horses are different in different environments.

If most judges saw Scooby at home they would be.. this isnt the same horse... he tests me and is generally cheeky.. but get to a show and he goes into show mode and 95% of the time is good.

Other thing relex take each movement on its own..... you are scored as such...... if one goes wrong move on! Be more positive with the next :) and what happens smile!

ponymadgal said:
i only got 49.1%, that must be really bad. i am only 14 and my pony is 5 and she was parted from her friend and was upset. but oh well im just no good at riding!

I don't think anyone should think like this, with dressage you get a sheet with comments and you can clearly see where your marks are lower. This means you can work on doing better next time whether you score 20% or 80%, everyone can improve.

I also think 49.1% is respectable for a young horse, especially if she isn't used to the showground atmosphere.

The prelim tests I've been doing are at a local riding school where I borrow a horse. The horse I usually ride is out of action at the moment so I'm riding a young mare today and I don't expect to do very well but it's all experience.

princesaysneigh said:
what does writing for a dressage judge involve?
you basically sit with them in their car at C and write their comments and marks on a sheet for them. i found it fascinating and it gave me a good idea of just what they wanted and where to pick up marks.

don't worry about your score, last dressage test i did i kinda got eliminated, pony reared when i went to salute and tanked off out of the arena :eek: :D

Well I've finally bitten the bullet and the Safmoose and I are doing our first tests this weekend.

We've already ascertained that staying in the arena is probably going to be the hardest part :eek:

TBH I'll be happy if we actually manage to do the entire test, never mind what the marks are :p

newrider.com