Jumping boots

Horsegirl102938

Apr 30, 2019
So I would like to buy some boots for my horse so I’m not paranoid when we jump. Once before he has knocked the jump hard with his front legs and tripped over so now I’m terrified he is going to hurt himself.
I’m not sure if I should get brushing boots, open front tendon boots or closed front tendon boots or anything else someone can suggest.
I just want a boot to protect his front legs on the front side of them so he doesn’t hit them hard on the jump.

So I would like to buy some boots for my horse so I’m not paranoid when we jump. Once before he has knocked the jump hard with his front legs and tripped over so now I’m terrified he is going to hurt himself.
I’m not sure if I should get brushing boots, open front tendon boots or closed front tendon boots or anything else someone can suggest.
I just want a boot to protect his front legs on the front side of them so he doesn’t hit them hard on the jump.
I always used brushing boots, but don't know if they're the best option. That's what everyone had on in any jumping clinics I used to go to. He was always comfy in them, and they protected all round as well. By the way, welcome! :)

Reactions: Horsegirl102938
Open front tendon boots leave the front of the leg exposed so they can "feel the pole" if they hit them, so definitely not what you're after. Brushing or splint boots are probably enough for low level jumping unless your horse has a tenancy to interfere.

Open front tendon boots leave the front of the leg exposed so they can "feel the pole" if they hit them, so definitely not what you're after. Brushing or splint boots are probably enough for low level jumping unless your horse has a tenancy to interfere.
Ok, thank you!

Are splint boots and brushing boots the same?

When I was a showjumping groom we only used open-fronted tendon boots in competition - training at home they always wore either brushing boots or medicine boots. However if you do jump in brushing boots I would look for a style that still gives decent tendon protection, some of the neoprene brushing boots for example are quite flimsy & you do still want to protect against injuries caused by catching themselves with a back foot. Eventing / XC boots tend to give good all-round protection and have the added bonus of being designed for breathability and airflow. I really like the Veredus E-vento boots.

newrider.com