Jumping: Fear, Fun and Falling....

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
I have been getting really fed up with myself about my jumping nerves. I LOVE the reality of jumping but the thought makes me feel physically sick and I keep finding excuses to avoid it or just jump tiny jumps. I have entered 2 50cm classes and Zak has flown round them and I've been buzzing for hours, but the next day doubts creep in again! So it seems I can only jump when I'm actually competing!!

Today I gave myself a stern talking to, then took Zak into the jumping field and put the jumps up higher than we have jumped before: I guess 60-70cm including some spreads and a double. I warmed up over a couple of smaller ones then set off round a course. He was jumping really nicely jumped really big over the 2nd element of the double. At which point my stirrup leather broke.:eek::confused:

Hit the deck quite hard, whacked my head, saw stars, then went to get a new stirrup leather. And then jumped the whole course - woop woop :p. For some reason the fall made me angry (these were BRAND NEW leathers :mad:)and the anger banished the nerves and I discovered Zak really can actually jump perfectly well and had no trouble with any of the fences!! (My 'no/low jumping' excuse tends to be that Zak can't really jump :rolleyes:)

Then I went hacking and popped some tiny logs as we often do. Then we came to a log that is only a bit bigger than the tiny logs but which I always ride round. Not today. Time to jump!

Zak ducked out the first time - I think he was not expecting to jump it as we have always gone past before, but flew over it second time. Pic below. Ok not quite Badminton but baby steps!!!]]

Very pleased with myself and I am booking a jumping lesson with the YO who used to show jump for England! Onwards and upwards. (I hope!)

20150701_130540.jpg

Brilliant, well done :D I used to jump, and do enjoy it, but I would think twice about something that comes up to Jess's elbows :eek:

Reactions: KP nut
It's not up to his elbows! It's on a slope so it looks bigger than it is. I doubt it's higher than 45cm at the highest point.

Reactions: Jessey
Well done but I would be sending the leather back with a very firm note, how dangerous.

The problem with jumping is the bug hits and your start to push for more, I only ever wanted to jump Ginger 60-70 now I at 90 at home and 80 at comps but I know he had loads more in him

Good Job! Just yesterday I did the biggest jump I've ever done (small though xD) It was amazing! And I actually almost fell off the first time. XD Goodluck. I Hope you do well!

You sound like me! I was forever making excuses not to jump or only doing twiddly jumps. It was only when I went to shows that I would jump bigger, and still do to a certain extent though I am trying to be stern with myself and trying to match the height I do at shows when at home.

I guess the fact that the stirrup leather broke meant that it wasn't your fault and it wasn't Zak's fault either so there was nothing to worry about. Although I agree send them back with a complaint!

newrider.com