Jumping Position

wildfire9494

wildfire9494
May 24, 2008
After I am finished with a jump, one stride out I am still down of my horses neck, I like to jump forward when jumping so is there anyway that I can fix all theses problems

Don't worry, I used to do that. It naturally takes at least 3 strides to 'recover' from the jumping position. Unless, that is, you are somebody like Zara Philips or Mary King who can be sat back up even before the horse has landed! I did, have this problem, but I don't now. I suppose it just takes time and practice. What I do is wait until I feel my horse's front hooves make contact with the ground and then I prepare to sit up in the normal riding position. And then everything else naturally comes. So then if I am prepared (which I'm often not! :p) I can just sit back as soon as the front hooves are on the floor and you can feel him comming over the jump from behind you. Hope this helps. Good Luck. :)
D&D :)

Don't go too far forwards! I learnt this the hard way after a horse I was jumping cross country decided he would stop and go backwards down the bank (he'd already got his front hooves on the bank, very talented horse!) and, as I had gone too far forwards, I was left on the bank holding onto a bridle while the horse ran away :p Also very hard to do a drop fence if you 'jump ahead' of the horse.
When I jump now, I tend to think 'backwards' over the fence, and try to fold my upper body down, but push my bum backwards a bit, and keep lower legs in roughly the same place, so that the centre of gravity doesn't get ahead of the horse. Don't fold until you're actually jumping (again, learnt this the hard way from riding a dirty stopper) I found gridwork was really useful in helping to get a more secure jumping position as you need to sit up quickly.
Hope that helps :)

Relax your elbows so that they open up when the horse's head goes down after the jump. That way, your chest will not follow the neck when it stretches down. I just had this same problem last week!

newrider.com