Jumping Position

Lucy J

Weaver's Tale aka Ciara!!
Dec 5, 2001
Renfrewshire, Scotland
Visit site
Everytime I used to jump I was told I didn't 'fold' enough and was more inclined to stand in the stirrups. I can jump OK and when out galloping always keep a forward seat and jump any logs that may be in the way without having to do much other than give with my hands. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can tell if I am folding correctly? It doesn't usually bother me and the way I ride doesn't affect the horses I am riding, but I get paranoid at shows in case people think I look stupid! Any ideas?

I don;t know quite what you mean, but I was always told to keep my belly button directly over the pommel so you are bending enough but not too much. We use the skimming position rather than the two point so you bum is more on the saddle which also helps because you don;t push your whole body too far forward!
Hope this helps!

if you shorten your stirrups more, then you have to fold properly over the jump because if you stand up then you will catapult yourself out the seat.
i found this useful as i sometime do exactly the same thing, when i go to jump i think, bum in saddle, bum in sadle, but try to get belly button near pommel like qwerty said!!
taking your feet out the stirrups and jumping will quickly make you learn not to use the stirrups for support, and will take away the problem!! :)

I second Sarah's advice. I had a heck of a problem with getting out of the seat too much or jumping ahead of the horse (still do, sometimes) and jumping without stirrups was one of the best cures for me. Whenever I find myself doing this these days, I try to go right back to jumping without stirrups to get the feel. Actually, I even got called on this in a lesson with a new instructor a couple of days ago. Since she didn't want me to take my feet out of the stirrups, I just imagined they were out and focused on keeping a bit more weight on my thighs. Since I've practiced a lot without stirrups, just imagining them gone was pretty effective.

newrider.com