jumping side saddle!

Vicki&Milo I was riding down the lane like that the other day! Glad I'm not the only adult that does that!

A girl at my old yard used to show side saddle, it was really impressive looked like great fun too.

Vicki&Milo I was riding down the lane like that the other day! Glad I'm not the only adult that does that!

Me and my friend (both in mid-twenties) do the jockey position when we are in a childish mood.. may have to be trying side saddle, although i don't fancy my chances of staying on!

Just looks soo elegant, especially with the habit as well. I do so hope that it continues.

I saw a class at a show with them all dressed up in fancy 18th century riding habits and riding side saddle and i honestly dont think i have ever seen anything so elegant.

WOW to the 5 bar gate jump....horse is stunning as well.

<<how the hell do you stay on??? >>Actually, very easily! Side saddle is very secure - in fact, more so than astride.

I felt that as well when I had a go last year. Very strange feeling but definately a lot more secure than it appears.

Absolutely loved it, maybe one day when I get a horse of my own i'll give it another go, as for jumping however - I don't even do that riding astride!!!

Fantastic pics!!

Me and my friend (both in mid-twenties) do the jockey position when we are in a childish mood.. may have to be trying side saddle, although i don't fancy my chances of staying on!

You sit straight and centrally on the seat and have a curved fixed "head" (pommel) more or less centrally in front which you wrap your right leg round and which is your main support. There is also the curved "leaping head" over to the left which acts as as your emergency pommel. Your left leg goes under this but doesn't fit tightly unless you need extra security, eg for jumping or if you are run away with, etc. You bring this into play by raising your left heel. Most books/teachers tell you to keep your right shoulder back to simplify issues but in fact what you are actually doing is keeping your left hip forward. This keeps your position on the seat and with the combination of seat and legs I defy any horse to buck you of.

Apologies to the experts but the above is a fairly simplified description and there is more to it than this but it's an attempt to describe it for someone who hasn't seen a side saddle let alone sat on one why the saddle is so secure.

Anyone who wants more info could do a lot worse than beg, borrow or steal a copy of Janet McDonald's book "Riding Side Saddle". (Out of print but sometimes crops up on Amazon.) J.M. was one of the founders of the Side Saddle Association in the 1970s.

Thanks for that. I won't give up hope of finding a cheaper side-saddle in need of restoration then! :) Repairs are not a problem - Paul's done a fair few side-saddles, he knows what he's doing. :) I have a side-saddle tree in the workshop...by the time he makes me the darn saddle, I'll be too old to ride! ;)

Is there a way to work out seat size I'd need for a side-saddle? I ride in a GP 18" saddle, have long thighs and take a size 14/16 clothes.

Sorry for all the questions! ;) Thanks! :)
Don't know if anyone's answered this. S/saddles are measured differently from astride saddles. For example an 18" s/saddle measures 18" from the centre of the cut back head (at the front) to the centre point of the cantle at the back so 18" is quite a big s/saddle. As with any saddle it must not rest on the horse's loins.

The width fit for the horse is a matter for you, your horse and your saddler. It is almost inevitable that when you find the right saddle it will need fine-tuning to your horse. DO NOT let a saddler anywhere near it unless you know that he is a qualified and experienced side saddle fitter. The flocking on a side saddle is completely different to that of an astride saddle and if it isn't done properly you could be in trouble and the horse in pain. S/saddles need checking for fit more often than astride saddles. You can, to a certain extent get away with a slightly off astride saddle but not with a side saddle.

As far as you are concerned you sit down on a straight backed, hard chair and measure along the chair seat from the back of your bottom to the inside of the back of your knee and this gives the minimum length of the saddle. Ideally you should have about 2-3 fingers width of saddle behind you. Longer doesn't matter that much as long as it's not too long for the horse but shorter could be uncomfortable for you. The width of the seat is a bit hit and miss and you sometimes have to have what you can get but if possible avoid a saddle that is too narrow across the seat for your bottom as it will be umcomfortable and look odd and unflattering (and part of the s/saddle thing is elegance and looking good!).

The other thing which is important as far as fit, comfort and safety are concerned is the leaping head or left hand pommel. If it's too far back for you it will push you out of true and you can end up facing 11 o'clock instead or 12 o'clock and will be uncomfortable and feel unsafe.

In the UK you can hire saddles on a yearly basis for quite a reasonable fee but this may not be the case in Hungary.

Last edited:
O Im so jealous!!!! Ive always wanted to sidesaddle and jump aswell, maybe one day!!

Where are you Maddy? The SSA (various parts of the country) and the Northern Side Saddle Group do regular "Have a Go" days. Check on the Ride2theside website for dates.

After having tried it (not jumping I hasten to add!) on a riding holiday, I am in awe of those photos! I didn't quite realise how different side saddle would be to riding astride until I tried it, I constantly felt like I was leaning forwards when in fact I wasn't. I just about managed a canter (with instructor chasing me with a lunge whip as hadn't quite learned how to use my leg and the whip together :rolleyes:). Would love to have more lessons though, although it was a strange feeling I did really enjoy it.

<<I constantly felt like I was leaning forwards when in fact I wasn't.>> it doesn't usually so the saddle probably wasn't right for you.

Please folks, don't try riding side on a regular saddle, it's horrendously dangerous, both to you and your horse's back.

A sidesaddle has many safety features and is stuffed in a different way to a regular saddle, so as to minimise any possible harm to both horse and rider.

Cheers, Midori

Thanks for that. I won't give up hope of finding a cheaper side-saddle in need of restoration then! :) Repairs are not a problem - Paul's done a fair few side-saddles, he knows what he's doing. :) I have a side-saddle tree in the workshop...by the time he makes me the darn saddle, I'll be too old to ride! ;)

Is there a way to work out seat size I'd need for a side-saddle? I ride in a GP 18" saddle, have long thighs and take a size 14/16 clothes.

Sorry for all the questions! ;) Thanks! :)

Try this email address for info on all matters side-saddle in Hungary. You'll probably have to copy and paste it. It's the contact for the Hungarian equivalent of the SSA, from whom I got it.

damalovas@citronmail.hu.

Im in France at the mo, and the people I work for ride side saddle, mother and daughter) they hunt and jump and ride daily side saddle.

I had my first try side saddle the other day!! felt quite bizarre, but ok, I walked and did some trotting!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4172.jpg
    IMG_4172.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 26
newrider.com