Just burnt my Christmas cake

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
:banghead:so mad at myself.

I prepped the fruit yesterday and today when we got back from the comp I made the cake and popped it in the oven. Went to the yard to see to the boys got back and the minute I walked in I said to OH the cake is burnt:stomp::stomp::stomp::stomp:

yeap it was I pulled it out but after about 30 minutes I realised what I had done wrong. Stupid stupid women it said 140 not 190. Opps.

All my normal cakes are cooked at around 190 so I just did that.

The moral of the story READ THE F^&KING BOOK.

Start all over again next weekend.

Is it big enough to chop off the burnt edges - the inside might be ok and it won't show if you're going the marzipan/icing route anyway?
You generally have to "feed" them anyway so it will get remoistened with booze - worth a go - you've nothing to loose!

Well done for making the cake in the first place. I really want to make one, but no-one in my family will eat christmas cake and I will end up eating it all myself.

I did make a very nice honey cake yesterday though!

Yes - I've burnt more than one in the past, or overcooked them anyway ... If the burnt bits are fairly small, then just cut them off, and the cake will be a bit smaller, but fine. If more than half the cake is burnt, then you just have to start again ...

Is it big enough to chop off the burnt edges - the inside might be ok and it won't show if you're going the marzipan/icing route anyway?
You generally have to "feed" them anyway so it will get remoistened with booze - worth a go - you've nothing to loose!

Yes you could give it a go but the trouble will be that it might not be cooked through the middle. Christmas cake is so dense it has to be cooked on a low temperature for so long in order to penetrate right through.

If you go ahead & ice it still it'll be worth taking a sample out the middle to see if it's cooked through, otherwise making & applying the marzipan and icing will be a complete waste of time too.

Bugger though OBC, I know what it's like to go to so much effort only for it to go tits up!

use it as pudding and start again - i have to get mine done as well and it will be using a new to me oven so who knows.

if it is any consolation, i was daft enough to volunteer to make a cake for my parent's diamond wedding party - first one, given i was upping the quantities, turned out like a pudding, too too soft. had no ingredients so another shop - next cake was ok.

marzipanned it, made royal icing but as i beat it, something on the blade made it turn grey! in the bin, no more sugar. Another shop, got it iced.

Bought an elaborate decoration for it from ebay - didn't come in time, rushed to shops, bought some red roses and put them on it with some ribbon - then the decoration turned up!

Managed to get it to the venue without it falling off the back seat and splattering - i made two in the end one as a spare....

never again

Attachments

• DSC01907.jpg
    DSC01907.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC01906.jpg
    DSC01906.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 8
newrider.com