Just for fun, review the last item/product you bought

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
As this is a searchable bit of the site maybe we can gen up some more foot traffic.....

What have you bought recently and how is it to use/do it's job?

I brought Shires Greedy Feeder hay nets because I bloody hate stuffing hay nets but my lot are too greedy to have it totally loose. I wanted something easy to stuff, large capacity and 1" holes (or there abouts) to slow the greedy monkeys down :)

I got the large size (black ones) and
they are nice and big, I don't have to stuff them to within an inch of their life to get 8kgs in them, they are as wide as they are tall with a long rope so easy stuffing, but they aren't doing much for slowing my greedy buggers down. They are 1.25"/3cm holes, but the material seems to make it easy for them to get the hay out???? I also doubt they will last a particularly long time, just because the net is made of pretty fine string but I have shires nets made of similar material that are now 15 years old (with a couple of patches) so I might be surprised.​

I will do the Nettex Mite Powder.

I do feel we are very quiet and it's the regulars keeping it going.
We have a lot of lurkers who don't post, which is there choice.

Reactions: Jessey
Does it have to be something we bought that is horse related? If that’s the case I actually don’t remember the last thing as it was so long ago.

I bought a radius rasp for the ponies. I find it much easier to use than the conventional straight rasp, especially at Shetland pony level. It gives a good smooth finish.

Bought 2 fly masks for Hogan - so far they've been excellent. So glad I bought 2 though - he gets gungy eyes, and I have to change and wash it every day. Also an ear cover for riding - massive improvement, no more head shaking. Think it was "Well Equine" - both cheap as chips.Screenshot_20190716-113307_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20190716-113614_Samsung Internet.jpg

I bought a new energiser and fencing to set up for Charlie, and 500ml of v-calm calmer to send to his seller so that he has a relaxed journey.

I'm trying to buy corner posts for my fencing and finding them hard to come by!

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
I don't buy much for her now - the last thing I bought was some Valerian root to calm her down in the cooler months - at the moment it is around 30 degrees out there so she is pretty laid back :cool:

As for the forum participation, many forums run on just a few regular quality contributors.

I don't buy much for her now - the last thing I bought was some Valerian root to calm her down in the cooler months - at the moment it is around 30 degrees out there so she is pretty laid back :cool:

As for the forum participation, many forums run on just a few regular quality contributors.
So did the valerian work?
I appreciate they can run on just a few, but it doesn't hurt to put a general post in a searchable area of the forum occasionally.

The last thing I bought was a couple of bags of horse food. I was not impressed as the bag of mix has cereal mite. Nobodys fault just the hot whether. Everytime I open the bin its got that funny wiff, I can smell. As there only getting a bit it's going to take a while to use up. Although I might use it on the cows instead, which wont last long with them, and then wash the bin out and buy a new bag of mix.

Actually earlier I couldnt for the life of me remember what I bought for the horses recently. I have now remembered i bought a job lot of stuff from someone giving up. One of the best buys was the double bent leg safety stirrups and extra thick stirrup leathers. I swapped them from my standard run of the mill stirrups and they've been fab. I dont have to look down to see where the stirrup is as it's always facing automatically forward. So theres no fumbling to get my foot in on an angle. I was worried that my foot might come out easier in them whilst jumping but so far they've been ok. I did loose my foot the other day when horse put in a lovely buck, but in reality if you are going to be bucked off feet safely out the stirrup has to be a bonus.

IMG_20190513_070456.jpg

A picture of my old ones twisted round.IMG_20190511_150409.jpg

Actually earlier I couldnt for the life of me remember what I bought for the horses recently. I have now remembered i bought a job lot of stuff from someone giving up. One of the best buys was the double bent leg safety stirrups and extra thick stirrup leathers. I swapped them from my standard run of the mill stirrups and they've been fab. I dont have to look down to see where the stirrup is as it's always facing automatically forward. So theres no fumbling to get my foot in on an angle. I was worried that my foot might come out easier in them whilst jumping but so far they've been ok. I did loose my foot the other day when horse put in a lovely buck, but in reality if you are going to be bucked off feet safely out the stirrup has to be a bonus.

View attachment 99136

A picture of my old ones twisted round.View attachment 99137
Sorry - too busy looking at the lovely horse to take in the stirrups!

Animal Health Tranquil E valerian! Bloody marvellous stuff! Comet isn't dangerous but he is dramatic. Typical Welshy :rolleyes: it has taken his reaction and general dramatic antics down by miles! It hasn't dulled him just made him less stressy with things that usually upset him. He was very upset at the tractors working in the fields either side of theirs, now he doesnt bother, new things he has a gawk at but then relaxes quickly whereas before he coukd over react.He also had become difficult to catch in 2 of the 4 paddocks. He had been zapped by the fence, which was clearly all my fault as i was in the area when it happened :p but since starting this he is fine to catch again in them. In sometimes abit sceptical of supplements but i have to say I really like this one. It's doing what it says on the tin and as we dont compete its no issie for me using it and if it helos him just be more relaxed in general then I'm all for it. He takes alot in his stride but if it's something he really is worried about he really did over react,now it's just more manageable :)

You may be interested in this one then @Jessey .
The last thing I bought was a Martsnet. Needed to slow down a tubby pony. He managed to chew holes in his Shires greedy feeder nets within weeks, so creating his own very large hole to eat out of. The Marts nets are a lot dearer, but so far, no sign of damage to it.
Also because it’s orange, no one else has one the same colour, so it’s easy to spot if they are all jumbled up together,

I bought some white breeches last month, for a dressage competition.... which then got cancelled because the ground was too wet! So they haven't been worn yet! To be honest, I've finally found the schooling bug and Gracie and I are finally making progress. Dressage will be next month and I hope to improve on our disastrous score that was our very first attempt in May.

This is probably something everyone know but me , but hey ho. Bought pig oil and sulphur for Hogans feathers. Duly slapped it on and rubbed it in, (he was very good about it), then found my hands were all greasy, and nothing to wipe them on. Only thing to hand, was Hogans thick tangly mane, so duly wiped them all through it. Brought him in today, and his mane is like silk! Not at all greasy, but not a tangle to be seen. So he smells like a box of matches, but he looks lovely. :D

Reactions: Jessey and blazer
newrider.com