Just to prove that ponies CAN carry men ....

Bronya

Jan 17, 2006
My husband's pony learned to gallop under saddle today, with him, uphill - and unintentionally - she was supposed to be cantering! He weighs 13 stone fully dressed including riding boots etc, and she's 13.3hh. After she'd had a go once she was very excited and did it a few more times. Think she's been watching my horse and thinking 'that looks fun'!!!:) Husband and pony both very pleased with themselves tonight!:D

I'm going to show this to my husband this evening as I'm trying to convince him that we should buy a highland. He's 5'7" & weighs about 10 stone & he thinks a highland would be too small.

I'm going to show this to my husband this evening as I'm trying to convince him that we should buy a highland. He's 5'7" & weighs about 10 stone & he thinks a highland would be too small.

Weight wise - no problem. And if you get one of the wider built ones, it'll take up his leg no problem and he won't feel underhorsed. My 5'6" friend used to share my Highland, and got on fine with him, and he's one of the lighter built ones :)

My friend's hubby regularly rides her 13.2hh Arab x Sec A. They also have larger ponies/horses, but he prefers this mare :) However, she does actually ride more like a 14.2hh and is quite wide for her breeding. He is over 6', but she certainly doesn't have any trouble carrying him.

Anyone could ride my Exxie mare - built like a tank, although only 12.2hh.

BUT we must remember that our native ponies were bred to carry men over all terrain.

Ali xx

Weight wise - no problem. And if you get one of the wider built ones, it'll take up his leg no problem and he won't feel underhorsed. My 5'6" friend used to share my Highland, and got on fine with him, and he's one of the lighter built ones :)

That's my thought exactly, Mo that I ride is really wide she has a stallion neck & I think something like this would be just fine.

this is a pic of a friend on my 12.2hh. and he weighs quite a bit more than 10 stone.

Attachments

• 29-09-08_1545.jpg
    29-09-08_1545.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 126
  • 29-09-08_1546.jpg
    29-09-08_1546.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 153
It's not just the Highland that would be up to weight for him. You could try Dales, Fell or Welsh C or D. I'm taller and, afraid to say, heavier than your husband and my husband is even heavier than me yet we both ride my 14.2 Dales no problem. Also I find my Dales takes up my length of leg far better than many much taller horses have done.

My hubby used to ride our Fell , 14h. She had no problem carrying him.

Highlands used to bring down stags of up to 20 stone from the mountains, I am sure a highland would carry most men.

If you get a well built Highland he will laugh in the face of 15 stone let alone 10.

A fully grown stag including the pack saddle used on shoots is well in excess of 20 stone.

Working estate Highlands regularly potter up and down the mountains with that kind of load.

Some of the Working Highlands are formidable beasts.

This sort of thread makes me laugh.

Well, I have to laugh or I would weep in despair.

Do the people who seem so amazed by the weight-carrying abilities of Britain's native ponies never stop to think about why these ponies were bred in the first place? Do they never think of reading a book (or for that matter a website) about the history of these ponies and their origins? Are they unaware that throughout the world, ponies of similar type are still doing what they were and are bred to do?

Or do these people imagine that Mountain and Moorland ponies are a real-life version of My Little Pony?

Scary thought!

I wish my OH was shorter and a bit smaller he could ride my lot then:p but at 6'3" and 18 stone he'd struggle on a pony :( unfortunately he won't get on a 'horse' though as they are too big. He loves Sofi and said if she was bigger he'd ride her but at 12.2hh he'd squish her

Do the people who seem so amazed by the weight-carrying abilities of Britain's native ponies never stop to think about why these ponies were bred in the first place? Do they never think of reading a book (or for that matter a website) about the history of these ponies and their origins? Are they unaware that throughout the world, ponies of similar type are still doing what they were and are bred to do?

Or do these people imagine that Mountain and Moorland ponies are a real-life version of My Little Pony?

Scary thought!

I know this an old discussion but ....
Of course ponies can carry grown men with out an issue- and have throughout time! I prefer ponies any day as does my hubby (neither of us are into big horses.). His horse is now 15'1 but a real pony in character.

The problem is many people - riders and non-riders do make comments about adults who ride ponies and it can be very upsettting. The expectation is an adult will ride a horse. Though some pony' their tempraments mean they are certainly not suitable for children!

BTW Bronya- congrats to hubby on the gallop!

Well I am not sure that Kia counts as a pony as he is kinda in between at about 15hh but he regularly carries Scott who is 6ft4 and weighs about 14stone.

Hes 3/4 welshie D.:)

And me at my heaviest was 14stone and Kia took me on 25 mile rideouts about 6 hours in the saddle:)

Nikki xxxxx

Men not riding small horses..ha! Icelanders have been riding their Icelandic's since the time of the Viking raiders.

There are many so called "ponies" that children couldn't handle, as they were bred for adults to ride.

Possibly a stupid question but

What exactly makes a pony a pony?! I mean who decides yes this is a horse and this is a pony?

I realise that you all probably know this and I am truly showing my ignorance by asking, but hey if you don't ask you never find out :eek:

Hi if its 14.2 and under then its classed as a pony, over 14.2 and its classed as a horse. But some 'ponies' are refered to as horses... Icelandics are known as horses think fjiords may be refered to as horses as well??? not totally sure on that one, should know as I own one.:eek:

Scary thought!

What on earth is your problem ? Are you just generally annoyed and pissed off with everything, or do you just trawl New Rider for things to be newly pissed off about ? HOW PATRONISING !!!!! Lots of people, sharing their happiness at the fact that their little horses can carry big people. JOY! HAPPINESS! A GOOD THING!

Seriously, 'being happy about something'. Try it, you might like it.

Last edited:
Hi if its 14.2 and under then its classed as a pony, over 14.2 and its classed as a horse. But some 'ponies' are refered to as horses... Icelandics are known as horses think fjiords may be refered to as horses as well??? not totally sure on that one, should know as I own one.:eek:

But aren't some Welsh D's taller than 14.2hh? If they're taller are they disqualified from the registry? If Jackson wasn't a gelding and grew over 16hh he wouldn't be eligible for full registered status per breed requirements.

I have never personally seen an adult on a pony around here, unfortunately ponies are not as common unless it's a childs pony. Actually, I think a lot of children start out on smaller horses(Quarter horse, Morgan, Morab etc...).

I was shocked when I first joined NR to see adults riding ponies, only because it's something I'd never heard of before. After reading so many stories about them on here, however, I'd definitely be willing to give one a go!

newrider.com