Just wondering about moving yards

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Following a thread I've just seen it got me thinking.
What's the longest your horse has been at a yard before it was moved.
How long did they take to settle at the new yard.

Lissie

Jan 18, 2016
7 years. Did take a while to settle at the new place about 4 weeks maybe a bit longer.

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Current lass left mum at two and half years. She did take a while because she missed mum, however a broodmare who hasn't foaled that year looked after her. :D

Reactions: Trewsers

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
I've recently moved Pete after 6 years at our old yard. I'd say it took 24-48 hours for him to lose his increased adrenaline induced sharpness (but it didn't boil over into dangerous - which it has easily done in the past) & a few more weeks to settle into his new routine.

He's still not as 100% confident as he was at our old yard - for example: it wouldn't be safe for me to ride him out hacking at the moment, so we are back to in-hand hacking. We've been here two months now :)

Before me: he'd been through lots of people and lots of yards as a 6 year old!

MrC

https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/
Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
I rented space and fields at a farm with Kia for 7/8 years. Five of those he spent on his own. I have been at my current yard for 4 years now and unless I’m asked to leave or the yard closes he will stay here for the rest of his life as he is happy settled and I like it there.

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I was at the last place 5 years, would have still been there if the YO hadn't passed away. Jess doesn't get unsettled going new places, as long as she'd fed she's happy and I don't really remember Hank being unsettled at the move either. Bo used to be a bit of a twit for a few days at a new place, Phoenix would be edgy for weeks but he had a history of serious abuse and being pushed from one home to the next so that was understandable.

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
I've never moved Raf since I got him 7/8 years ago. He settled pretty much straight away but he came from a large stud yard and the YO on my yard runs a tight ship, with horses being in a structured routine etc so it probably wasn't too much of a difference for him, plus he's naturally very co-operative with humans anyway.

Jack was completely different, he'd had more moves, including some quite recent (we got him from a dealers) and it took him probably 6 months to settle down to the stage where he would at least stand tied up on the yard without breaking his headcollar and setting himself free - he has an aversion to being 'trapped' when he's under stress, which I don't suppose is unusual for a flight animal. I'd say it was a year before he let us see his true personality and we got to know him properly but that's more to do with us getting to know him than changing yards I suppose.

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Was on one year to the day on first yard then moved to another nearer our then home. Next yard they settled pretty quickly as it was summer, loads of grass, good company etc. Stayed there a year and then brought them home. It was J and Storm back then. J was a nightmare to settle once home, he regressed a bit really. I think it was probably six months or more before they both chilled properly. Both girlies impressed me moving here last summer though, they were very relaxed and happy in a short time. Eighteen months on and you'd think they had lived here forever.