Just wondering how long I have left........

Kaboo

Nov 8, 2006
London
....with Flame. He's getting very stiff, mainly noticible due to running out of siniquin...but I can stop thinking that I want to move on. This is the first time I have really vented out about his arthiritis, and he's ok for local stuff, "popped" 4'9 the other day:eek::eek:, but for bigger stuff, like BSJA - not sure if he could. Well, he could w/o arthiritis, but with it....ahhh I do not know. I honestly dream about a sound horse who can take me somewhere, who can pop something bigger, like BSJA and BE. He could, just his legs :(

I love him so much, and I don't want to get rid of him, knowone would treat him like I do. Am I being a little selfish, or what?

I think you're being perfectly honest. youre a rider who wants to compete actively and has a horse who probably won't be able to be that competitive, particularly if things are getting worse. Especially since jumping does make arthritis worse because it stresses the joints.

Would it be possible to afford the upkeep of two horses? Maybe look at getting a youngster that you could slowly start to work with while still working with Flame? And then in a year or so, your new mount could be your regular compeition mount while you just putter around with Flame?

We did talk about this when we hacked out that time.

If you continue to jump flame as you do his arthritis will get worse, if the arthritis was in his hocks that wouldn't be so bad but it's in his fetlocks (right) and you don't want to break that joint down, it's needs prolonging for as long as poss. I know of a youngster who has it in his fetlock but from a young age and has had a sucessful career but Flame isn't a youngster.

Maybe it is time to find him a less demanding home and find you your BSJA'er

I would suggest leasing flame to somebody that needs an expereienced horse to look after them and that isnt wanting to jump so high :) (im sure there are plenty of us).

Maybe look at getting yourself a new horse. Then you still get to keep flame give someone else some enjoyment out of him and having a buddy to ride wiht :)

I think you're being perfectly honest. youre a rider who wants to compete actively and has a horse who probably won't be able to be that competitive, particularly if things are getting worse. Especially since jumping does make arthritis worse because it stresses the joints.

Would it be possible to afford the upkeep of two horses? Maybe look at getting a youngster that you could slowly start to work with while still working with Flame? And then in a year or so, your new mount could be your regular compeition mount while you just putter around with Flame?

Yes, for the last few months I get butterflies about competing. Flame has taught me so much, but too soon. I already have two horses:rolleyes: My old pony who is on loan, but we are proberbly selling him for £600 to loaners. And, no, we wouldn't be able to afford two neds and the above won't cover the price!

I am not experianced enough to get a youngster really, I am going to be totaly honest about my riding skills and not rush into anything silly with youngsters :)

am i missing something? you want to jump bigger than 4'9"?

Hell no! It was a one off chase me charlie:D I nearly wet myself, and it wouldn't be the first time:eek::eek:

We did talk about this when we hacked out that time.

If you continue to jump flame as you do his arthritis will get worse, if the arthritis was in his hocks that wouldn't be so bad but it's in his fetlocks (right) and you don't want to break that joint down, it's needs prolonging for as long as poss. I know of a youngster who has it in his fetlock but from a young age and has had a sucessful career but Flame isn't a youngster.

Maybe it is time to find him a less demanding home and find you your BSJA'er

Thanks for being blunt....I needed to hear that. But, what if I regrett selling him

I would suggest leasing flame to somebody that needs an expereienced horse to look after them and that isnt wanting to jump so high :) (im sure there are plenty of us).

Maybe look at getting yourself a new horse. Then you still get to keep flame give someone else some enjoyment out of him and having a buddy to ride wiht :)

It's not about height really....sorry, seemed a bit misty (?) in orginal post, mainly because I was ranting...a little:eek:

Sounds to me like you will miss him but wn't regret selling the horse he is becoming due to his condition.

I think you'd regret keeping him even more if you kept being tempted to jump him and he deteriorated as a result of this ;)

Time for him to have a less physically demanding home :)

I love flame, he is a true gentleman, I loved him the time I rode him.

You never know if selling him will be the right decision untill you have made it.

I've decided to downgrade my dreams so I can keep my girlie, I sold Grady and it was very painful. I could not get rid of Bry but I am older and have more responsibilities that you. You have a talent and you should persue your dream.

As long as flame finds a nice home with plenty of food and affection he will be happy.

I love flame, he is a true gentleman, I loved him the time I rode him.

You never know if selling him will be the right decision untill you have made it.

I've decided to downgrade my dreams so I can keep my girlie, I sold Grady and it was very painful. I could not get rid of Bry but I am older and have more responsibilities that you. You have a talent and you should persue your dream.

As long as flame finds a nice home with plenty of food and affection he will be happy.

He really is lovely. He can be a stress head, but he's nervous due to past treatment, and that could be taken the wrong way and punished for it....gues thats what I am worried about. But what if I do sell him, and it is the wrong disision? I don't know what I would do. Your not much older than me lol.....only a few years...:p If i was to sell him, I don't even know what I would sell him as.....if you understand.

It looks like a simple choice between what's best for you and what's best for your horse, and only you can make that decision. If competing is more important then you may have to sell him, if keeping him is more important then you will have to cut your cloth accordingly :)

newrider.com