Just wondering..where can I find an old horse...

Clava

Apr 24, 2008
On the South Downs, Hampshire
My friend and I both have fairly green horses to bring on and we were going to use my old mare to ride out with them, but she's now retired (due to lameness), so here's the question - where can I find another old horse to accompany us (my friend and I taking it in turns)? Do people loan out old horses or is there a way of finding someone who wants to retire their horse with me? I am thinking of an old horse simply because I cannot afford a schoolmaster young one and I am very happy to offer an old boy / girl a happy retirement with very light hacking, I have plenty of my own grazing and two oldies already (one getting to the end of her days - very sad). I guess it's probably a case of keeping my eyes open. Any thoughts?

Why not try veteran horse society?

They always have loads, sensible types, which would suit you, ok poss have mild athritis(sp) but for light hacking would be ok, not many people willing to give the oldies a try but they make fab nannies.

Google them and maybe pop them an email, they have horses all over country looking for loving homes.

you say you cant afford a younger horse?

i find my 29 year old more expensive to keep than the 2 younger ones , we only use him as a very light hack once a fortnight to

ild look on project horses or the veteran horse site

good luck in your search :)

Thanks, I haven't tried the veteran society, but have looked at project horses. It's not the cost of up keep that I can't afford, but the initial outlay for a younger horse which is thousands and I really want an old plod that I can offer a good home to which I believe some people may appreciate if they cannot justify keeping an oldie.

newrider.com