Katie Meeting Bevs(Great Aunties) Criollos

HI Anna-Marie
well, six months ago we had no intention of buying a horse! But as we have said we were so impressed that we decided to go ahead and get our own. If you are interested in riding western then would def reccomend a visit to the farm, (it's not for eveyone) They have great company horses with different levels of experience catered for, I would be surprised if you were dissapointed. Sadly Marco isn't a novice ride otherwise I would have offered you a try on him, but they have plenty at the farm that are real steady, solid and bomb proof.

iv had a go at western when i was on holiday a couple of years ago and its so comfortable and relaxed! i felt so much more secure once i got the hang of it that i do in english tack lol
I really want to go there now haha

I am glad to hear Monique is breeding them. :)

I have heard many good things about her place and that she really tries to match horse and rider :)

I just would like to add that if you can - borrow or hire a Port Lewis Impression pad to test saddle fit. If a western saddle does not fit it WILL cause your horse pain and discomfort. As these horses receive such intensive training they often do not protest either. One western saddle really does not fit all and they are usually harder to fit well than english saddles. I understand Monique often uses the barefoot saddles which are fabulous for these horses as it allows them to build their topline without being restricted by a tree.

I thought I would add this as I have been contacted a few times in the last few weeks about saddle fit so hope that helps a little :)

I have a barefoot cheyene - It slips back - which im thinking could meen the cantle is too narrow - im not so sure these treeless really are treeless?? as surely this is 1/2 a tree?

Sorry KT, haven't got one, but what a great idea.
More pics of our boys
IMG]http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh184/marieb56/week2013.jpg[/IMG]
week2004-1.jpg

week2005.jpg

awww Ziggy looks gorgeous there- very cheeky chappy!!

just noticed that marco has a number 3 in his blaze like my boy Jo- hence my user name Trio!!

Copy3ofJOSEPT06003.jpg

SIMONJO008.jpg

More pics

Some more pics of the boys, on our excursion out to Shearwater on Sunday. We stopped for coffee then for ice cream later on, great ride, 3 hours in the saddle.
Bev and Ziggy
bevangzig.jpg

Marie and Marco
horses_shearwater_029.jpg

Bayo wondering what Mark is up too and trying to help!
horses_shearwater_008.jpg

:):):):):)

eh eh!!!

great photos!!

I really envy you 3 - having each other to ride with!! stopping for coffee!!! it sounds bliss!!

I bet you cause a stir - the 3 of your horses in western gear - hogged manes...:cool:

eh eh!!!

great photos!!

I really envy you 3 - having each other to ride with!! stopping for coffee!!! it sounds bliss!!

I bet you cause a stir - the 3 of your horses in western gear - hogged manes...:cool:

Yes KT, I think we're starting to realise just how lucky we are to have each other to ride with, also for support & encouragement.

When we rode to Shearwater on Sunday, we passed lots of walkers & received loads of Lovely comments. It was really nice.:D

Still can't quite believe they're our boys.;)

Still working on Trailers so we can go on the Criollo Club ride, so if anyone hears of one for sale or loan, please contact us.

Great photos everyone!!!!

They are all so lovely!

I went out at the weekend to just have a look at treeless saddles and my local tack shop had a treeless Western saddle with everything included for £525!!! So I bought it. Its the Barefoot Nevada and lovely!!!

So I have my other Western saddle for sale. Only 6 months old. Does anyone know where is good t sell second hand Western saddles???

K.T - I had a long chat with the master saddler there and the cantle is not weight bearing but purely there to pull up the built-in sheepskin underside so there is no pressure on the withers. She also said that you fit the treeless saddles further forward than normal so that you sit where you would when riding bareback.

Thank you both for the lovely comments about the photo's. We did have fun.

I am thinking of changing my freeform to a barefoot. I like the comfort of the freeform but it is rubbing Marco's back and seems tight on his withers. I tried Bev's western, just too hard on my bum bones, ouch!! got my eye on one on ebay. So there could be a freeform coming up for sale. Fee, ebay is good, or put it on here at the bottom of your replies, like a quote, I have seen others do it.

newrider.com