Katie Meeting Bevs(Great Aunties) Criollos

Fee, no I don't know which make they are, but I will look tonight, I am not sure they have a makers name on them.

Freeform Treeless saddle for sale. Brown. English Stirrups and dressage girth. Used only a few times. Selling as its not a good fit on Marco, who has high withers. Very comfy. I prefer the look of the Western Saddles. PM for more details.

fee - Monique says i put it too far forward!

The cantle is causing pressure - i think the stirrups do too where they stretch out under saddle im not convienced about barefoot saddles!!

Marieb - have you just bought that freeform!!???

K.T - Oh how strange...have you had yours checked out by anyone??

Mine fits Max like a glove although it is a different shape than yours so maybe that is why? :confused: I guess it depends on the horses shape as well as I don't believe that all treeless can fit 100% of horses.

KT, yes it came with Marco, and was brand new, but never been v happy with the fit, or the look of it, I prefer the look of the western but they are too hard on my arse!! so need a compromise like a barefoot arizona.

K.T - Oh how strange...have you had yours checked out by anyone??

Mine fits Max like a glove although it is a different shape than yours so maybe that is why? :confused: I guess it depends on the horses shape as well as I don't believe that all treeless can fit 100% of horses.

Hi Fee

When Marie was looking into the Barefoot Arizona, I took a look too, but whereas Marco has High withers , Ziggy doesn't he has wide ones, so therefore it seems that the Barefoot Nevada would be better for him.

I've just bought a new Cinch, which only arrived today, so I'll give that a go first, but his Saddle slips back all the time, it starts in the right place. So fingers crossed the Cinch does the trick

Great photos everyone!!!!

They are all so lovely!

I went out at the weekend to just have a look at treeless saddles and my local tack shop had a treeless Western saddle with everything included for £525!!! So I bought it. Its the Barefoot Nevada and lovely!!!

So I have my other Western saddle for sale. Only 6 months old. Does anyone know where is good t sell second hand Western saddles???

K.T - I had a long chat with the master saddler there and the cantle is not weight bearing but purely there to pull up the built-in sheepskin underside so there is no pressure on the withers. She also said that you fit the treeless saddles further forward than normal so that you sit where you would when riding bareback.

Fee & Marie, you can advertise your saddles on NR in the Classifieds. Look on the right of this page.:)

GA - Have you got a Western saddle from Monique? Do you know what the make is?

Yeh I think they must fit some horses better than other. How do you find your saddle as my Western one really restricted Maximo's movement and he kept going disunited in canter. I have taken him out lots in the new saddle and he hasn't once and I feel that he really opens up through his shoulders now.

You may also want to try a breastplate to stop it moving back??

GA - Have you got a Western saddle from Monique? Do you know what the make is?

Yeh I think they must fit some horses better than other. How do you find your saddle as my Western one really restricted Maximo's movement and he kept going disunited in canter. I have taken him out lots in the new saddle and he hasn't once and I feel that he really opens up through his shoulders now.

You may also want to try a breastplate to stop it moving back??

Yes Fee I have, but it's different from yours, Marks is the same as yours, but (I can't remember the make sorry), he has a breastplate that Monique provided with the saddle as Bayo has no tummy & she knew it would slip. So he seems fine with his. Monique suggested the different one for Ziggy as he has wide withers. But when I had a chat with her about the slipping, she said he may need a breastplate too. But hopefully the new cinch will help.

Bev - ive the same prob with my barefoot - it slips back and rubs his back - so maybe its because they have big shoulder movement - as i think ziggy looks a simular shape to buddy - ummmm, saddles, why is it soooo complicated?

Bev - ive the same prob with my barefoot - it slips back and rubs his back - so maybe its because they have big shoulder movement - as i think ziggy looks a simular shape to buddy - ummmm, saddles, why is it soooo complicated?
KT which Barefoot have you got? cos as I said the Arizona and Nevada are for different shaped withers/backs.

Great photos everyone!!!!
K.T - I had a long chat with the master saddler there and the cantle is not weight bearing but purely there to pull up the built-in sheepskin underside so there is no pressure on the withers. She also said that you fit the treeless saddles further forward than normal so that you sit where you would when riding bareback.

That is true about the cantle. I understood that the saddle should be placed behind the shoulder, not further forward as it does have a fixed front arch and if you put it further forward the rigging is in the wrong place. I guess that depends how far forward it is recommended it is put though :)

I am thinking of changing my freeform to a barefoot. I like the comfort of the freeform but it is rubbing Marco's back and seems tight on his withers. I tried Bev's western, just too hard on my bum bones, ouch!! got my eye on one on ebay.

I am afraid I have no experience of the Freeform. What material is the pad under the Freeform made from? Also, you can get really comfy, well-padded western saddles, but they can be tricky to fit. Does your Criollo have little topline or nicely built-up? If the former, then you are much better off with a treeless as this will allow for the muscles to come back up. A fitted treed saddle will often prevent this from happening properly. Ebay is a great place for treeless saddles :)

KT, yes it came with Marco, and was brand new, but never been v happy with the fit, or the look of it, I prefer the look of the western but they are too hard on my arse!! so need a compromise like a barefoot arizona.

KT do you know which pommel you have in the front of yours? Is it the right width for Buddy? Also, the horses I have seen that have had rub patches - it has always been behind the cantle under the back of the pad. We think it may be due to a little saddle movement, but because the Grandeur pads are made from non-wool fleece it causes heat and therefore friction = hence hair loss. Not saying that IS what is causing your problem, just an idea. Can you Port Lewis Impression pad test it? I have done that with all the hair loss I have seen and it showed clearly there was absolutely no pressure under the cantle. :)

Great Auntie - sorry if I missed it but is your saddle treed or treeless? If treed and slipping back it often indicates that the bars do not fit the contours of the horses back, hence why it moves. :)

This is a VERY common problem in most western saddles - they simply do not have enough 'flair' to allow the shoulders the freedom they need. Nearly all USA made saddles have trees that are made so very straight. Great if you have a really slab-sided horse, but no good if your horse has shape. :( Then it does just as you described.

Wow thanks for your comments Western-Saddler. Great to hear from someone that knows about Western saddles as I know nothing about them.

Also there is more to treeless saddles than I first thought.

Western Saddler, your comments have been very helpful, thanks.

My saddle is a Western, treed, the one I've, got I tried on him & rode with, before I bought Ziggy. Monique said it fitted him better than the other style she had , as he has wide withers & a relatively flat back. It never slipped back when Monique put it on , it seemed absolutely fine. But the cinch used at that time was one of Moniques own & didn't come with the Saddle, I only had one of the string type, so I put a sheepskin sleeve on it. But it slips. Maybe I'm not tightening it enough, someone else told me they have to get someone else to tighten their cinch once they are mounted. But I have just bought a neoprene cinch, waffle type, so I'm hoping this will help. I have a proper Western saddle pad. He has no rub marks. :confused:

Western Saddler, many thanks for the advice. Nice to know someone here is really knowledagble about it all. Marco's is being brought back into work after 8 months off. So little topline, one of the reasons I wanted a treeless as I knew this would help. He has no rub marks from the saddle, but has from the girth! Taking delivery of a Barefoot Arizona tomorrow. I use a blanket supplied by Monique, (like a rug almost, they come from Argentina) folded over and seems to be fine. I did try Bev's western on him but there was a rub mark at the back after an hour+ which came from using this saddle. I have been keeping and eye on his back every day. He had a rub mark on his withers which I thought was the saddle but Monique tells me it was his rug, as that is now getting hairy again I am sure she is right.
Thanks again for your help.

newrider.com