Keeping A Horse Stabled Is Unfair Or Is It?

As long as the horse is happy and some are quite happy in where others are not. I don't think with horses there is any right or wrong way.
My thoughts exactly. I've traditionally preferred to go the au naturel route with as much turnout as possible but I do see the land owners POV regarding churned up land. I would hate to stable for longer then 10hrs.

One horse at the uni has to be stabled 24/7 as if he's turned out he turns into a nutter and ends up hurting himself, even if he's left turned out for a few weeks he still gallops around like a looney and end sup injuring himself. So he's kept in a bloody big stable and has to wear stable bandages or boots at all times. He goes out on the horse walker or in the round pen to stretch his legs and get some air. And he does fine staying in and doesn't even batter an eyelid if the others go out.

On the other hand, one the ponies, hates being in with a passion, even if for just a few hours and will often barge his way out and canter up to the field by himself.

3 of my lot all came from part stabled homes to living out 24/7, never had any waiting at the gate to come in, had waiting for a bucket tho, feed eaten all gone off to graze or to pile of hay.

I think it depends on the horse.
When I bought my first horse I thought out 24/7 would be best. But he was miserable with it. He wanted to come in and couldn't. He used to be a racehorse and was used to being in a stable. I was boarding him so I didn't have much choice in it.
When I built my own facilities and brought him home I made sure it was designed in a way that allowed him to come in and out as he pleases.
The other horses seem happy with this option too. If they want to stay in they stay in, if they want to go out they go out.
Right now I feel a little bit bad for Minnie since all she has is a stall with an adjacent dirt paddock for her to go into. Even her little paddock has another shelter for her though and it's big enough to run in and she has neighbors. There's turnout in a big field available but she's only staying for a month (or 2) so getting her integrated into the herd would take some time. Might as well play it safe and keep her in her stall/paddock combo set-up. At least she still has the element of choice: she can stay in the stall or go out to her paddock.

I don't think it's unfair, but I would prefer not to do it I do believe it's healthier all round for them to be out 24/7 living in a herd, depending on the animal. HOWEVER for diet/welfare reasons sometimes a stable is necessary, as long as the horse has adequeate turn out for 12 hours a day then I don't see a problem.

My old horse HATED going into a stable, it took at least 20 mins to persuade her in if she had to be in for a bit for whatever reason!

I remember one winter when it was pretty much a storm outside, she had a rug on but was drenched to the bone all over (not too bad underneath) but face, neck, legs etc. were muddy, wet and she just looked terrible! However, did she appreciate me turning up and offering the stable to her? No. I only wanted to bring her in for at least just her tea time! So it gave her half an hour or so to dry off naturally and for me to rub her as dry as I could with some straw and towels. :giggle: so yes she went into her stable and ate her tea, but the anxiety in her eyes just told me that being in a stable, was not something she liked at all - but as her mummy, I kept her in for her tea to dry her off a bit, she was okay.

But, she wanted to be back out, especially with the other two, so I rugged her up to her ears and sent her back out, slightly less wet and with a full belly :smile: I felt awful her being out at night, and I lay in bed worrying but deep down, I knew she'd dislike me if I left her stuck in, so for her out 24/7 was meant for her.

Last edited:
Sunshine - who rides them all? How come their owners dont do their share of preparation?

I much much prefer mine out 24/7. I haven't got the time to stable them. Though when Moët was on box rest for 7 months I coped fine, but wouldn't do it out of choice.

Sunshine - who rides them all? How come their owners dont do their share of preparation?

Sunshine works on a hunting yard, people pay to hire the horses to go hunting so I guess they don't have to prepare the horses themselves.

Joosies pretty much got it as below! Usually one of the horses is mine and the other the yard owners (men are rubbish at plaiting so I do his!) then whatever is on hire as well. YO usually feeds/hays/waters whilst I'm doing hunters.

Sunshine works on a hunting yard, people pay to hire the horses to go hunting so I guess they don't have to prepare the horses themselves.

People pay to hire the horse for the day and for that it arrives at the meet tacked and plaited ready for them to get on. They then just give it back at the end of the day. I love it as I get free hunting 90% of the time, but I hate having to babysit people as often they overestimate their riding ability! I often want to say to them 'ypu are aware you are hiring a hunter and not a riding school plod yes?' Plus its hard trying to untack, put fleeces on, tail bandages on and get 6 horses onto the lorry when everyone just wants to give you the horse and bog off, not even wanting to help hold it for you!

I guess its not that different from going on a hack from somewhere though? You don't know the horses at a riding school before you ride them. The hunters know their job, you just have to let them get on with it :)

lol
actually from the riding schools I've been to we've always been expected to get the horse in ourselves and groom and tack up. It's probably just a 'what you are used' sort of thing. :)

How weird I've never been to a riding school like that, though I think it is a good idea so the clients can learn horsecare as well as riding :)

In an ideal world I would have mine out 24/7 with access to a big barn but also a set of stables so I can bring them in to do things like feed individually, brush etc (for a few hours not overnight). I see stables as a convenience, not a bedroom.

I do think it depends on the horse- totally. One of mine would hate it if she was stabled overnight, hates being in for more than minimal time. Another, I stabled last night because I could tell he was grumpy from all the rain and wanted a break. This morning I opened his door to give him his freedom. All 3 times I have been up to them today he has been stood/lied down in his stable. So I am very much of the opinion each to their own.

I have a friend who bangs on about keeping his horse naturally, out 24/7 rugless and how healthy she is. Everytime I see him talking about it I think- yes, but you are living in a part of the country with much different weather to us. We have wind, we have rain, we have snow, we are almost always a few degrees lower than nearby cities and that means the need for stables/rugs to make life more pleasant for me and the horses.

Oh and I think that 'all natural' has to be viewed in context as well.
Sure all natural means they don't have man-made structures. But all natural also means that they would have the freedom to seek shelter in nature (hedges, forrests, whatever)
In a fenced in pasture without shelter they don't have that.
Who knows... in nature they may even migrate based on food availability and weather/season.
Again they don't have those options in our care (unless you keep your horses on some 1000 acre ranch, etc.) So keeping them truly all natural may not be what people think it is?

I don't think that stabling is unfair. But, as much turnout as possible is ideal. However, I like my horse to be happy & content in his stable & like to keep him as flexible as possible in terms of stabling....you never know when you'll need it!

I like mine to be out as much as possible, I have a stable and Samson comes in at night for a few months over winter (mainly because everyone else does,
I don't like to leave him out on his own, not that he cares either way!) rest of the year it's just a convenience.
I brought him in this morning for a bit of hay and to dry his feet/legs off a bit as he has been drenched for a few days.
I would not move to a yard with restricted winter turnout as that would not suit me. I would probably be put off buying a horse that 'does not like going out' although in my experience there are very few horses that this can be said about, but they do exist.

Put him out with a couple of old mares, they will teach him his manners and tell him what's what.

I'm sure you're right. Unfortunately there is a single sex policy on our yard, one of the disadvantages of livery. And I quite understand that YO can't take risks with other people's horses, so has to err on the side of caution.

Silver is much happier with a stable - in an ideal I would have a field with a barn that is open but that I could yard then on if I wanted them in. Silver has to come off grass due to skin and lami so would prefer her to have freedom but be in shelter

One thing you cannot have here is an open barn or building in winter. The roof would be off. So it's either in or out.

A lady moved here from the south of England , going to breed Arabs. Telling us how tough Arabs were and how they could survive minus 20 in the desert, blah blah, blah. When asked about where she was going to stable them she informed us they were to live out 24/7. We said that would be madness, she told us we were all mad and didn't know what we were on about.

She left the next spring having lost 3 horses in one storm. The stallion, a mare and a yearling filly. Stabling has it's place, as does turnout. All done appropriately, all done in moderation.

This is what happened to a friend's {prta cabin she was using as a field shelter on Xmas day. It was lashed down too. It was the right way up and next to the house, she found it 2 fields away. This was the same day Sparky Lily got picked up and thrown across the park and broke her finger.
Alisportacabin.jpg

Last edited:
newrider.com