Keeping Busy!

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
Dom was thoroughly spoiled with a joint Christmas and birthday (3rd Jan) prezzie.

We have been saying for about a year that we wanted to get him another horse, but not probably until 2017, that will do the things that Jack won't, ie, load and pop a small fence; something that he can accompany me and Albi to fun rides with. Then Jack was diagnosed with Cushings and has a weird lameness issue when ridden - he's totally pasture sound and thanks to the Prascend, he now has the energy to bomb around with Albi without a care in the world (looks wonderful!) Anyway, a few weeks ago, fate unexpectedly lent a hand......

Breeze is another one from the lady I bought Joey from so I trust her when she says he is quiet and lazy! Haha.... That said, he is something of a project but we felt he was worth the time investment as well as the financial one. He is 6, will be 7 in May - he is three weeks older than Albi - was lightly backed at 5 but then hasn't really done much because J separated from her husband a year ago so she had to find a full-time job to support her daughter. She then dislocated her finger which needed surgery, which then became infected and basically incapacitated her for all of last year. She just doesn't have the time to re-start Breeze so decided to part with him. She has owned him since he was 10 months old so he has only known a life with her and her lot. She's done all the walking over tarps stuff with him and he has seen traffic so he's not a complete blank canvas. He is a tad over 16hh and a blue and white ID x cob. He has huge feet, a huge arse and chunky legs, a short neck but no muscle at the moment. He is also missing a forelock as he got so many burrs in it she didn't have the time to tease them all out so she took a pair of scissors to it!!! :eek: At the moment he is mainly grey with his winter coat, but in the summer his colours show better. This is when he was younger and we do realise that he will grey out over time.

He coped so well with his world turning upside down when he arrived 10 days ago. He was a bit zingy, but still had manners around us. He has been friendly from the word go and has been out with Jack and Albi for a week now. The weekend he arrived it rained constantly all weekend so I was loathe to let him out with the other two as he has only known flat paddocks and mine are sloped so we kept him Jack's pen. He wasn't happy at all to be in there and churned it up completely but it did give them a chance to get to know each other over the fence for 3 days before we let him out before he pushed the fence over!! I bribed them with haylage on that day so running around was minimal before they all settled down to the serious job of eating. Within the hour, him and Albi were sharing a haynet - awww. Since then he has continued to chill and chill and just loves human interaction.

When the days are a bit longer and we have more time, we will take him round and show him the school, get him lungeing and long-lining again, re-back him gently and then probably send him off to someone more experienced for a few weeks to get some miles on his clock.

He's a bit underweight at the moment but I'll soon get him filled out. His appetite is increasing daily as he settles and gets used to us......

Oh he looks adorable, even with his mohawk:p lol Love the picture of you kissing his nose with his eyes half closed, he is loving it:D

He looks nice. His top knot will grow back :)
Ah the famous big arse of theirs.
I am telling myself it's lighter now the shortest day has gone. :)

Oh what a lovely surprise - I didn't expect this when I saw the title of the thread! Breeze looks lovely, see what you mean about his feet lol. I love his kind face and his broad chest. Bet Dom can't wait to get started :)

newrider.com