keeping cool under helmets and saddle seat cushions

farfel

Mar 13, 2016
Hi,

Has anyone found an effective cooling cap or other device to use under riding helmet? It is like being in an oven.

I have an Abetta endurance hornless western saddle. Can anyone recommend a cushion that will fit it, and doe sheepskin give the same comfort as a foam cushion?

thanks,
farfel

Sheepskin, or at least natural wool on a fabric backing is super effective as a padding and keeping backs more comfortable, it allows the back to breathe better than foams, and draws sweat away from the skin. for a cooling cap I have seen lots sold int he US that look good, but we so rarely get hot enough days here to worry about it, when on holiday in the US I used to wet a bandana and put it around my neck to keep me cool on very hot days.

I wear a heavy duty helmet wherever I go - including mid day sun in Texas. Have a silk over it - may be that keeps it cooler.
As for sheepskin for girth wraps pads etc, when I wanted to buy a new one for my share (dont we all fancy sheepskin?) I was told the old fashioned wool pad was better for her. More breathable than leather.

newrider.com