Kim Poodle

The good thing is that the rescue rep, me and both dogs are within 5 miles of each other, so if necessary i can go down, collect her from the fosterers, take her for a walk on her own or with Harrison, bring them here and spend time in the garden etc. If the worst comes to the worst, she is better to come here for rehoming as we could at least improve her, get some weight off her, get her fitter and give her more life experience and get her away from the packing up, the grief, the anxiety that she is living in. She has shades of Kim, when i took her and Harry away on their own, she came and sat on a park bench with me and was giving paws and playing, she liked me, I liked her, I just felt so bloody sorry for her. She is very shut down. We have a great garden, enclosed spaces, so she can get up her confidence solo or with him. I think i probably was just a bit too negative about her yesterday, having had an hour long chat with the rescue person who i know from dog training with Harry, they were not entirely happy with the home, but given how hard it is to find fosterers, the dog was being fed, walked, etc, but probably not given as much stimulation as a poodle needs as they are very intelligent and like to do stuff. So perhaps we might foster her at first with a view to adopting and see how she goes. We are at home 24.7 so we can do lots of little bits with her. Just hope she is ok with the cats. She is a big hair poodle, sadly that would all go as i don't groom, and keep them short and practical.

I'm just catching up on this, what a great turn around, and fab news! though perhaps not the 4am wake up 🥱
she was a completely different dog away from her home, the minute she got here the tail was wagging and she was lively whereas on Saturday she was completely dead and no sparkle. I think she has been picking up on the situation there, the move, all the stress. On Sunday she was dragging you on the lead to explore and this morning she and Harrison were chasing each other and playing, she told him off when she wanted left alone. She has mobility issues, her hind legs are weak - so so so like Kim - and because they have been walking her at snail's pace she has no muscle. She couldn't jump up onto the bed upstairs - Harrison does it easily, or jump out of the pond when she fell in. So she needs lots of going up and down stairs - she came from a bungalow - and serious yomping up and down hills to get her muscles built up. She is coping really well with the cats, and really we couldn't ask for more from her.

Oh she is beautiful! What a gorgeous colour, and Kim's collar really suits her. She looks sparky and happy and quite at home.

I am so so glad that this has worked out well so far. Wonderful news.

Reactions: Huggy
Just done our second walk, she and Harry walk beautifully together, she went through some woods, up and down banks, through a nice shaded tree lined route with stream, really enjoyed herself. We have had to put chicken wire along the fence to the paddock little madam limboed under it as she wanted to go run in the field. I wouldn't have believed that a rotund poodle could get under it but once the nose did the rest of the poodle followed.

I find this very odd about the stairs. I have never known or helped to walk a dog that was allowed upstairs. My father never allowed his dogs to go upstairs, my daughter is the same. And so when her dog visits, the upstairs is out of bounds.

I find this very odd about the stairs. I have never known or helped to walk a dog that was allowed upstairs. My father never allowed his dogs to go upstairs, my daughter is the same. And so when her dog visits, the upstairs is out of bounds.
ours can go anywhere except our bedroom where we have an old cat who stays in there. they have always been allowed to be free in the house

Our Springer was only allowed up when OH was away - don't like being on my own. Alfie is allowed up but only the landing, not the bedrooms (unless OH away!) Bruno used to tentatively put one paw at a time on the stairs when I said he could come up - always looked sooo guilty - Alfie's up like a rocket.

Reactions: Skib
Our Springer was only allowed up when OH was away - don't like being on my own. Alfie is allowed up but only the landing, not the bedrooms (unless OH away!) Bruno used to tentatively put one paw at a time on the stairs when I said he could come up - always looked sooo guilty - Alfie's up like a rocket.
Harrison comes into the bedroom sometimes if he is upset. We found out her reason for getting up at 4am is that the previous people had a shop and this is when they got up, she made it to 7am then came in for 10 minutes to say hello then she was downstairs and out. When I had my knee surgery, Harrison and Kim used to come to bed in the other bedroom and keep me company. I put them up the other end of the house where there is a guest bedroom with a day bed but they didn't stay on it. She is now a big goofy poodle lump flying in the air and generally full of herself and she and harry are close together no problems.

• Love
Reactions: carthorse and Huggy
Harrison comes into the bedroom sometimes if he is upset. We found out her reason for getting up at 4am is that the previous people had a shop and this is when they got up, she made it to 7am then came in for 10 minutes to say hello then she was downstairs and out. When I had my knee surgery, Harrison and Kim used to come to bed in the other bedroom and keep me company. I put them up the other end of the house where there is a guest bedroom with a day bed but they didn't stay on it. She is now a big goofy poodle lump flying in the air and generally full of herself and she and harry are close together no problems.
Love it!

newrider.com