K's feet 2 weeks on....

B

Black Beastie

The shoes have been off for nearly two weeks now :) And we are still sound :dance:

Bit worried by how much the hooves have caved in some areas..... Im currently in the process of purchasing a rasp as farrier is going to show me how to keep them neat......

Right Fore
IMG-20120108-00096.jpg

IMG-20120108-00095.jpg

IMG-20120108-00094.jpg

IMG-20120108-00100.jpg

Left Fore
IMG-20120108-00097.jpg

IMG-20120108-00098.jpg

IMG-20120108-00099.jpg

IMG-20120108-00101.jpg

Help and opinions please since my last thread went down like a lead balloon (except for my home girl SM :wink: )

Looks like its still just me! Right, I was warned about the hoof breaking away up to the nail holes. Now, to be fair, Arnies are doing fine but he really has got good feet. I wouldnt panic about it and I would just rasp off the odd chipped bit to keep things nice and smooth.

Have you ridden him yet? I've had Arnie out 3 times this week and he's doing well. Spot on over tarmac and grass and careful but sound over the lane which is all rough hardcore and gravel. I got off and led him over a bit today because I thought he was a bit footy but he was fine once I was off and fine once he was over the really rough bit and I got back on.

Btw, what are you feeding him? I was warned that this would make the biggest difference but luckily he was on a good diet for barefoot even before I took the shoes off.

He gets Happy Hoof, Micronised linseed, calmag, turmeric and cinnamon.

The amount of grass is important too... though generally less so at this time of year - grass is high in sugar.

I cant really see from the pics - thye make my eyes go funny, need a better screen.

Btw, what are you feeding him? I was warned that this would make the biggest difference but luckily he was on a good diet for barefoot even before I took the shoes off.

He gets Happy Hoof, Micronised linseed, calmag, turmeric and cinnamon.

Hes getting (twice a day)

Large round scoop of readigrass
Large round scoop of soaked veteran vitality
Large round scoop of beetpulp
1200mg of sharks cartilage
1 measure of biotin (per day AM)
1 measure of linseed (per day PM)

Hes also on good quality hay/haylege two large nets a day and now that we have moved back to the farm he will be on good winter grazing (not cow grass but not to rough ;))

I havent ridden BUT the weather has been awful and I have been running around for th past week trying to find stabling lol :redface: I prefer with him being older to build him back up to riding since he now has had about 8 weeks off other than the hack to the yard I was at previously. :)

Can't see the pics but looking worse before they get better is pretty normal for freshly de shod feet and the degradation is almost always completely superficial :)

Thabks Yann one you can see the pics feel free to give your honest opinion :D

Yep nothing much to worry about (keep an eye on the crack though) and a rasp round to tidy up a little would probably be helpful :)

Tend not to answer these thread as am no expert on hooves! The only thing that jumped out at me was that crack but nothing apart from that!! Useless I know....

Thanks guys :D

The crack is where I have battled to get rid of the ramapnt seedy toe that was ALWAYS behind the toe clip but the farrier wouldnt ever let me have quarter clips :(

Finally blitzed it with hydrogen peroxide twice weekely and bactakil. but it is weaker there :(

newrider.com