lame behind argh!

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
'Madam is lame behind :( just very stiff and slow... I've bought them off the hill tonight to give her a break but my solution last year was more turnout... They live out now so that's not an option! :(

She is very hairy, very muddy and had been thriving until last night. I'm thinking it's the sudden drop in temps - the field hadn't even thawed today!

I'm loathe to rug her as this has been a trigger for her hair falling out previously - in a rug shape! She has plenty of coat and doesn't seem cold...

She is on fast fibre, micronised linseed and tumeric...

What does anyone else do with oldies when they stiffen up? She won't run about, she will refuse to the point of lashing out if I push her...

Since I've had Storm on devil claw its meant I could drop her bute and being out more or less 24/7 seems to have really helped. Chloe is 24 but does not seem stiff at all - she's grand for her age.
Do you think she could have tweaked a muscle or something thats making her look lame behind?

I'd be looking to add some boswellia to her diet to see if that helps. Makes a difference to my horse :)

Mine goes stiff behind every time in season, less so these days. Also if wormed.
But in season now, gosh a November foal would need defrosting born then!

Could yours have a touch of LGL from the frosty grass?

I am another huge fan of Devil's Claw - I managed Solly for two cold winters without any bute thanks to some daily slurps of this. And I had him on something else but the name has escaped me.......Ah! Comfrey too, I had him on comfrey. :)

Reactions: Trewsers
Gems had her first dose of Tildren today for bilateral hock spavin (gutted :( ). Her SJ career is over, and her trec future looks sketchy at present. Infact even hacking out is currently not an option. I'm really praying that it works, it'll mean she will be able to do trec as it's quite low demanding.

Once we know the result of the Tildren I may be interested in looking into devils claw etc, but I'm not willing to mask or disguise the Tildren for the time being.

Get the lameness investigated. I never for once imagined Gem would be masking this sort of damage. For a start, I never suspected her hind end...

Gems had her first dose of Tildren today for bilateral hock spavin (gutted :( ). Her SJ career is over, and her trec future looks sketchy at present. Infact even hacking out is currently not an option. I'm really praying that it works, it'll mean she will be able to do trec as it's quite low demanding.

Once we know the result of the Tildren I may be interested in looking into devils claw etc, but I'm not willing to mask or disguise the Tildren for the time being.

Get the lameness investigated. I never for once imagined Gem would be masking this sort of damage. For a start, I never suspected her hind end...

Hope it works for her.

I'm off today so I can see her in daylight, check her feet and legs over and the rest of her. She has a rare autoimmune disorder which causes a rheumatoid arthritis type reaction in her joints pre flare up. For the last two winters I have had problems when stabling her, which was when it was decided that she probably has osteo arthritis as it was solved by increasing turnout.

Once I've had a good look at her today I will speak with the vet - though I manage her pretty palliativly - probably a bute trial or some steroids - but with all the other health issues, undergoing intensive lameness work ups Isn't worth the stress for her- she is a big pet and we've had longer together than I could have hoped for.

Hopefully see more today when I can see her properly :) she is short striding, looks like pelvis to me.

Reactions: Flipo's Mum
Oh no sorry to hear pbf. No advice for you just hope it's something simple and she's better before you know it.

She is very old lady like today, I wasn't imagining it :( she would look right at home with a walking stick meandering to the shops for some bread :D

She is scurfy but not swollen or scabby or sore to touch... She will pick all her feet up, but struggles to hold back feet high. It's dwfinitley pelvis/stifle and it's slightly worse near side but bad both sides. She won't travel at speed... But she's happy pottering about, came over for food and scratches, and is happy and interested in everything :) strange!

I have put some old age in her feed, and just debating between giving her steroids or bute... Steroids are more likely to be effective... But she has been off them for six months and with the build up/withdrawal periods they are a bit of a pain, vs bute which you can just thrown in....

Reactions: Trewsers
Poor old girlie. I definitely recommend devil's claw, I use the James Hart as it is strong and pure. It keeps Mattie moving and I give it to Ziggy if he has tweaked himself in the field.

She is very old lady like today, I wasn't imagining it :( she would look right at home with a walking stick meandering to the shops for some bread :D

She is scurfy but not swollen or scabby or sore to touch... She will pick all her feet up, but struggles to hold back feet high. It's dwfinitley pelvis/stifle and it's slightly worse near side but bad both sides. She won't travel at speed... But she's happy pottering about, came over for food and scratches, and is happy and interested in everything :) strange!

I have put some old age in her feed, and just debating between giving her steroids or bute... Steroids are more likely to be effective... But she has been off them for six months and with the build up/withdrawal periods they are a bit of a pain, vs bute which you can just thrown in....
Is there a reason you cant give her Danilon to make her more comfortable? It doesnt have to be long term.

No, it's the debate between da ikon/bute and steroids - bute doesnt really affect the autoimmune disorder she has, whereas steroids zaps it quickly. I have both on repeat prescription from the vet... Works party last night - hay being delivered today - time to go and see how she is :)

Have you had a bodyworker out to look at her? My mare was out on a very steep hill last winter, she's not one for silliness but she ended up very very stiff behind, I got the chiropractor out and she had wonked her pelvis (technical term), she must have slipped on the muddy hill, one treatment and week off work and she was back to her normal self, she was turned out in the flatter fields after that to avoid it happening again.

Yeah, a friend who does Bowen is going to come and zap her in the morning :)

She is much better today, she waited for me to ask friend over I'm sure I messaged her and looked outside to see her bucking and cantering with piggy! Though she still isn't right and she's struggling to get down and roll :(

Hmm, Tobes started being very stiff behind, I have subsequently put him on the Pro Hoof and Pro Copper. He has stopped being stiff behind and dropping a leg. Having said that, I am not riding him as at the end of September he sustained a tendon injury and has had shoes off and he is out during the day and in at night. Our grazing is very high in iron and manganese. I doubled the dose of the pro copper and he is just on the one full scoop of pro hoof. He is managing VERY well at the moment coming up and down stoney track, and doing walking in hand on the road, which is a massive amazement to me as he was crippled previously if he lost a front shoe.

You are very well up on minerals and feed balancing, so I am sure you have looked into it, but I have been amazed that this year we have had no mud fever. Usually I have to pig oil or put on a remedial treatment.
I am convinced that the tendon issue has come about because of the very high iron and manganese levels knocking everything else out of kilter. He is ENORMOUSLY sensitive to feeds etc., and I think current grazing was just a bridge too far.

Just a thought.

I have a pair of the magnetic bands that can stay on 24/7 = she has had them on for a few months now and that together with a rug and a joint supplent (gloucosomine based) ,turmeric/linseed and a splash of devils claw has seen her improve to the point if I didn't have the arthritis diagnosed you woundn,t know - she had a really bad hind injury earlier in the year - strain we think from a slip wher her back end over stretched and it did a lot of damage = almost identical in symptoms to what Acorn had 6 months earlier and Charlie did on one leg a few weeks later - all on the hill field in the wet weather we had - deep footing and slippery - we've taken the boys off early this year for that reason - Nuts seems quite happy and is keeping to high ground where the footing is better = I was really worried about her being able to cope out this winter and am keeping an eye out but for now shes great! she is the only one with a rug on but I daren,t take it off now as it looks to be helping and I don't want to risk a set back. They are a worry do hope you find a way to manage her that won,t affect her other issues.

She had a Bowen session yesterday afternoon. She was better yesterday but she is much better today :) she was asleep within ten minutes of treatment (normally spends the whole treatment trying to kill therapist!) and then slept for over an hour afterwards without moving! So 2.5hrs sleep!

Fingers crossed we've nipped it

newrider.com