Latest clip?

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I know it's been asked before, but what's the latest you clip?

Jess's clip (1/2 neck and chest) has grown out pretty well, and she got really hot and sweaty when I rode on Friday, even when super fit she sweats a lot it's just the way she is, but the coat is stopping her drying very quickly. I know she's not doing much at the moment, but as soon as the weather breaks in the next few weeks I plan to up her work, plus I've just organised to have regular lessons, at the minute I feel bad doing much in the evenings with her as she gets so soggy.

No idea :) have to say though Belle is doing a super job of clipping herself right now, long hairs coming out by the brush full.
I don't do that much with her but even when she's in full on winter fluff mode I don't worry too much about her getting a bit sweaty, I figure horses must get sweaty in winter in the wild if they run about either for warmth/fun or from a predator and none of them die of a chill. If Belle gets sweaty she takes herself off for a roll and then stands in the windiest part of the paddock to blow dry herself. I know I'm probably going to get shot down for saying that but so far she hasn't shown any sign of a chill.
I guess it's different though if they get really lathered with sweat.

Reactions: Jessey
Horses in the wild don't move at speed for an hour plus to get sweaty, if they do its life and death anyway, and jess isnt just a little damp on her neck she has sweat running down her face and legs. She spent 5 days in horsepital with a fever in Nov 13 after standing out in the rain mourning Bo, I assumed she would come in if she was cold, that turned out to be a very expensive assumption so I dont risk her catching a chill.

Horses in the wild don't move at speed for an hour plus to get sweaty, and jess isnt just a little damp on her neck she has sweat running down her face. She spent 5 days in horsepital with a fever in Nov 13 after standing out in the rain mourning Bo, I assumed she would come in if she was cold, that turned out to be a very expensive assumption so I dont risk her catching a chill.
No I can completely understand that, Belle does sweat up but only a bit that's why I don't tend to worry. Obviously if your horse is sweating to the point of running wet that's very different.

I clip all year, so for us we have no latest.

She hates getting over hot. She will run with sweat in the summer and it drips off, to me that's over heating.
Likely she will get a bib from March, depending on what we are doing. She has an extremely thick coat.

Horses at my yard are clipped all year round as well. Ben is a very hot horse and has been so much more comfortable during ridden work this winter when he has been fully clipped. The yard staff were clipping 2 of the horses today.

I think that the 'last clip of the year' rule only really applies if you wish you show your horse and therefore need the coat to be perfect for the spring shows. If you are not showing, it doesn't really matter.

If you think that Jess needs clipping then I would go ahead and clip.

A friend of mine full clips her horse as soon as she starts to properly moult (she cant stand getting covered in hair for weeks on end!) so round about the middle to end of Feb. She's never had any issues with summer coat being dull (horse is a bay)

I full clip B in the summer and will probably whip all his off when he starts really moulting as he gets itchy with it. The coat that grows back is always much nicer, but he has cushings.

I think I will send my blades for sharpening this week and give her a whip over mid feb, hopefully in time not to mess with her summer coat but not so early that its ages before I can up her work

newrider.com