Lay off - share or rest?

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
pondering a bit here. I'm going to have to take a wee break from riding. I've three horses. One semi retired, one not backed and one in work. I will be able to do ground work so had planned to long line, free school and continue with the straightness training I've been doing. Also walking out Inhand as my health allows. But I see so many adverts offering horses for share by people in similar situations. Don't know if I'm being selfish and should find a temporary rider? Should add mine are at home so not that keen on someone being on my yard if I'm not there. All three have only ever been handled by me (or immediate family) and Kez has only ever been ridden by me in his time under saddle. Want to do what's best for them and least stress for me!

Should also add I would be returning to riding next year so absolutely no intention of selling/loaning! It's a temporary (enforced) break. Next year I intend on getting out there with now I've Got my trailer!!

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't find a temporary rider. Like me, yours are at home. I wouldn't be keen on someone being there either, specially when I'm out. Sorry you are having to take a break. I don't think there is anything wrong either with not finding a rider. I am sure other people might think differently. But there is always the thing that the temporary rider might get too attached. And then if it were me, I'd feel bad ending the share.

Last edited:
But there is always the thing that the temporary rider might get too attached. And then if it were me, I'd feel bad ending the share.

Me too. There would be no chance of a sale/loan/continued share once I'm back in the saddle. And I would have a very strict exercise schedule of dos and donts because of kez's stiffness. I can keep this at bay with Inhand pole work and straightness training which makes me think we'll manage ok. Toby will simply have time off and Louisa will get more growing up time ready to back in summer 2019

Yeah I’d give them some down time and not fuss too much but on the other hand if you do feel one or other of them needs work then I’d pay someone to ride and that way I’d control more of the situation and not feel concerned that they were there to please themselves with pushing your horse in a certain way for their own pleasure, as well as then understanding that there is no attachment to be formed as it is a short term business arrangement

Personally I’d either pay someone to ride if you can or and this would be my preference I’d just stick to the groundwork that you have planned.
Whatever is forcing your break I hope you recover quickly.

Reactions: eventerbabe
I would drop the word share and change to exercise. I have exercised for people over the winter. No fee either way and they tell me what they want and what they don't.
Some people are quite happy just to go out for a nice walk and look at the countryside- that's me. :)
I love groundwork so will be equally happy longreining for someone.
Maybe ask around your riding clubs if they know anyone.
Paying around here is £20 an hour. Check what affect this might have on your insurance. I had my own rider only policy.

I'm on our local RC committee and wouldn't let any of them near my horses I'm afraid! A number could be my pupils/relatives of pupils which makes it awkward as the yard is my home and I don't want pupils at my house. The perils of being a secondary teacher! I can still do groundwork and, as health has allowed, sit on a few times. I did see someone advertising today looking for a horse to ride as they had sold theirs but the idea brought me out in a cold sweat!! I've the physio out this afternoon so going to ask their advice on what to do going forwards.

The lay off is only temporary as I'm pregnant! Baby due March so plan to be back riding as soon as body allows. Currently morning sickness and exhaustion has taken its toll but now I'm into the second trimester I'm feeling a bit more human so able to ride a bit more :)

Huge congratulations on the pregnancy. I would give the horses time off if I were you. Let them have the winter off and pick back up in spring.

Just will add that I benefitted enormously from a quiet share to hack and would love the same again.

Just will add that I benefitted enormously from a quiet share to hack and would love the same again.

Sadly mine is not that. He is a complex, nervous over thinker of a Welsh D who is very sensitive. He would require someone who could stick to a rehab schedule of pole and lateral work combined with interval training and the odd bit of hill work in our fields. Physio thankfully gave him a clean bill of health and said there was no specific need to have him ridden if I can do Inhand, other than for my safety when I can start riding again after baba comes along.

Thank you for your good wishes! Planned but a surprise none the less!

newrider.com