lazy horse, wondering rider ?

Windcatcher

Jul 24, 2007
My horse is sixs now but my instrocter says he was over jumped as a foal which leaves to problems. no.1 he has started stopping at and is less willing and has made me loss my confidence ,i used 2 jumb a metre 30 but now im afraid 2 jumb 70cm because of this problem and hes never been schooled so hes very hard 2 get going foward or 2 get him on the bit

so if u can help me please do !:confused:

first of all. if hes your horse(??) its your job to school him. you have to teach him to go round, because right now he doesnt know any better, and hes probably really lazy because he doesnt respect yu? do yu let him go all slow without disiplining him? do you let him refuse jumps? do you give him tons of treats and let him do pretty much whatever he wants? thats how you lose his respect. and second, hes only six.. hes just starting to mature, you need to take time and teach him, if hes refusing hes probably trying to tell you something. maybe he's in pain, and if he was overjumped as a foal, theres probably a pretty good chance of it, maybe hes scared, or maybe he just cant jump that high.. with a six year old you have to train him and teach him, and now you may have to start all over, start with a crossrail and start jumping that. if he refuses a jump like that do not circle him, do not go around it. stop!!! like literally make him halt! backup to in front of the jump and make the horse jump it, even if he knocks it down of just steps over it, he must go over it!!! this is how you teach him not to refuse. and then keep doing corssrails until he goes over them 100% over the time, then after about a week of riding then raise the jump, do this ever 6 or 7 times you ride hin. itll take many weeks, but it is how you will get an honest horse that is trained to jump that high. take your time!

my instructor always says jumping is just dressage with poles.Remember that a horse who is not well schooled will not be able to jump as well as a horse that is balanced and going forwards on the flat. If this was my horse I would be inclined to take a break from jumping and working in the school and go out for hacks and try to introduce the fun back in to ridden work.Remember he is only 6 and it sounds as though he has had to much work than he is mentally able to cope with.You can school while out hacking,it doesn't have to be done in the school and your horse is much more likely to want to go forwards out hacking so I would try to concentrate on getting him going forwards first and then start asking him to come on the bit for short periods of time.Maybe you could go out for a hack and then ask him to do a short spell of schooling in the school afterwards.Always make sure that you finish on a good note though so as your horse knows he has done well.

newrider.com