Lead reigning a 5 month old colt?

Littlereb

Nov 25, 2018
Hello everyone! I’m new to this place and I just brought a 5 month old colt. (I’m from the UK btw)

Background:
I don’t know much about him and his background, the person who sold him to me said that he has gypsies come to his stables and give him the foals to sell on for him and that’s about it really. I know he’s not really had any interaction with humans so I’ve been taking things very slow with him.

I’m currently getting him used to having his head collar on but as soon as I put the lead rope on he doesn’t want to move and I’m just wondering what I can do to teach him that when he has the lead rope attached that he has to walk with me

Time to employ a good RI by the sounds of it, if you don't know how to teach a baby to lead then you are obviously inexperienced with babies and going to need some long term help to ensure you don't leave chunks of his education missing over the coming years.

go back a few steps, rather than going for leading, try to teach him to move a step backwards, to the side, move his head to the side, and down, get him used to pressure release, I would use a rope halter rather than a traditional halter and rope, and start with teaching him to yield to that. And then work on getting attention and moving his feed. A good NH practitioner would be able to show you the basics. Also when they are that young, you want to be careful with their necks.

Yes don't try to get forward motion or he will just brace and (a) he could damage bones in his poll and (b) you will never win. I have an 8 month old filly and we have got forward through side to side, initially, then me standing in front of her at the end of the lead rope. She's now so nosey that she walks to me so I then stepped backwards. They suss it pretty quickly when there's no force or physical pressure.

Please get someone experienced with youngstock to come & help you asap. These early years & training are the foundation for everything, it's crucial that they're done right.

Reactions: Frances144
Hello everyone! I’m new to this place and I just brought a 5 month old colt. (I’m from the UK btw)

Background:
I don’t know much about him and his background, the person who sold him to me said that he has gypsies come to his stables and give him the foals to sell on for him and that’s about it really. I know he’s not really had any interaction with humans so I’ve been taking things very slow with him.

I’m currently getting him used to having his head collar on but as soon as I put the lead rope on he doesn’t want to move and I’m just wondering what I can do to teach him that when he has the lead rope attached that he has to walk with me
Hello and welcome. I know nothing about bringing on babies but will follow your progress with interest. Pics would be nice. Good luck with him - he sounds as though he deserves a good home:)

Background:

The worst thing that can be done is trying to pull or force the colt to move, this will only cause issues with leading and make life very difficult. Teach the colt how to move off of pressure and life will be easier. If you don't know how to do this I would highly recommend getting a trainer and working with you and this colt. Many horses are ruined because of trying to force things or inexperience.
Best of luck

newrider.com