Learned something new about Cushings.

eml

Apr 29, 2002
Leicestershire
www.ivanhoeequestrian.net
We have an RS horse that has been behaving strangely. He is about 20 and until a couple of months ago was my superstar, does Elementary Dressage, Jumps 1m+ courses etc (evil to ride out however which is why we have him!!)

Problems started with not standing at the mounting block, then he just wasn't accepting a contact , checked out teeth and back/joints and saddle and did pain trial...no change. Next issue was putting on bridle, this from a horse that anyone could handle now only daughter or I could tack him up. Took him out of work as customers were just not happy to ride him and I was not sure I could trust him. He has in the last week started threatening other horses over the fence of the outdoor school, always been a bit difficult with other geldings but now also with mares. Yesterday he excelled himself and chased daughter off when she went to catch his favourite mare.

Decided to try to resolve the problem. Daughter rode him and said he felt initially explosive, looked stiff and uncomfortable to me. She rode him forward through it and he relaxed and became my old superstar. Vet was here today for maintenance visit (vaccinations all round etc!) so we asked his opinion.

Probably cause ..Cushings...we had noticed his coat was a bit patchy but having had several older horses with cushings didn't really worry. Apparently the aggressiveness, changes in behaviour, initial stiffness etc are all possible symptoms.

My old shetland gelding has cushings symptoms, and can be very aggressive. He also has issues around weeing. He saves it too long then goes a gallon. Once hes been hes usually calmer.

Also Im sure part of Silvers "moody mare" syndrome :D

Its quite a complex condition, which is often simplified to "long coat" - when really the coat is generally one of the last stage changes - moody swings, prone ness to infection eg mud fever, footyness, lethargy, being off food etc are all signs

My share was also a previous RS star who had cushings in her old age. It was controlled by the vet and she did give me years of pleasure but she was very bad tempered and not everyone's cup of tea - hoping you can restore your old favourite too eml.

newrider.com