leather headcollar / halter

Lexi 123

Sep 9, 2019
I now this is a stupid post I don’t now should I buy a leather halter there currently on sale at the moment. I don’t really travel so would it be a waste of money and are they safe to keep on in the field .

If you must keep a headcollar on in the field - and if you don't have to please don't - then leather is safer than nylon as it will snap under pressure. Obviously field safe headcollars are also designed to be safe, but personally I'd still prefer a leather headcollar that isn't too chunky and is kept well soaped and conditioned so the leather is soft.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
I don't keep them on in the field, only exception to that rule is Storm because she only goes into the small paddock unsupervised for a max of half an hour. If she's out there for a longer stay in the bigger one then we take it off. I have to keep it on her if she's not been out for a while because if there is any nonsense I can grab her fast before she re injures the leg. But I'd not leave one on the others.

I am on a yard where the head collars are left hanging by the gate overnight in all weathers. A child who is madly in love with the mare I ride bought her a heavy fancy new one that just soaks up water. It never seems to dry out and I hate putting it on her. I much prefer my own plain webbing one - but not diplomatic to use it.
However I too did always hanker after a leather one. Like my grandfather used.

My horse wears a leather headcollar in the field. This is because he can be a pain for the yard staff to catch and also it helps keep his grazing muzzle on. I am always on the lookout for cheap second hand ones as they get trashed and don’t look nice for very long.

I dont leave on in the field. I left 7 on the calves last year whilst I was halter training. 3 got trashed. Within weeks. They can cause some nasty 8njuries if they get hooked up on gates and fences.

Nothing stays on mine in the field, but if you need to, leathers definitely safer.

I don't like leaving headcollars on in the field either, but if I had to it would definitely be leather. Same with travelling. Will hopefully snap in an emergency. Gracie generally only wears her leather one on the trailer/for outings.

Ginger has a leather one that I use all the time. but never leave any on in the field at all. Little peanut has a nylon one and Eddie has a halter at the moment but will move to Chanters old one when he is older and walks correctly all the time.

I have tubs out side my fields that the collars go in once removed to protect them as @Skib said I hate putting on wet head collars

newrider.com