Leather riding boots

fielder

new irish rider
Aug 22, 2005
I've just recently got back to riding after a few years off. I have still got my breeches. Bought a new hat and body protector. Now I'm looking to replace my short boots and chaps. Is there a good make of leather tall boots on the market which someone can recommend?

This is a personal response but short boots and half chaps are preferable to a cheaper long boot as they allow more flexibility in the ankle. I did eventually buy long boots very expensive and supple. I love to ride in them but they are not good for anything but riding - I never wear them for yard work or grooming etc., nor do they keep your feet warm in winter.

Reactions: fielder
Ariat & Tredstep are both nice, but are expensive. Personally I'd stick with short boots and chaps until you're certain you'll keep riding, at least that way if you decide to stop you can use the boots for walking. Some of the better ones now look very like long boots from a distance.

I moved to long boots years ago and would never go back to short boots. I do change from my yard boots to them for riding only then change back.

The new leather boots are a lot cheaper and I personally like field boots as they are softer over the ankle (the ones with lace at the front)

I don’t ride heel down heavy more nearly flat fir flat work so soft over the ankle is not important but if you jump you will need something that is more flexible.

I would visit a tack shop and try a few to see how they feel before you buy s pair

I don't wear my riding boots on the yard anymore. I have MH high riders and Ariat Windermere's for riding in. I keep my HKM belmond ones for day to day walking the horses in hand or chores. Good advice from ownedbychanter too, visit a tack shop and try a few different types on, they are an expensive thing and you need to be sure.

I also have Mountain Horse and Arriat boots for riding, but it has been so long since I have worn them they are probably shrivelled up somewere now!

Thank you for the advice. The tredstep ones seem a bit expensive. They do look well though. I will keep an eye out on eBay to see if anything comes up. I saw a pair of mountain horse firenze ones recently so I might get those.

Reactions: Trewsers
I've just got a pair of Rhinegold Luxus as winter boots so I don't stretch my Ariats with extra layers, and I must say that for the price I was impressed. An initial try on made me think they were too long, but the leather is so soft that walking round in them for 10 minutes had them dropped to a comfortable height. No breaking in needed because the leather is soft, they're comfortable to ride in & look good. Ok they aren't the quality of Ariats, but they're also a lot cheaper.

I've just got a pair of Rhinegold Luxus as winter boots so I don't stretch my Ariats with extra layers, and I must say that for the price I was impressed. An initial try on made me think they were too long, but the leather is so soft that walking round in them for 10 minutes had them dropped to a comfortable height. No breaking in needed because the leather is soft, they're comfortable to ride in & look good. Ok they aren't the quality of Ariats, but they're also a lot cheaper.

They sound great:)

I got my first pair of long leather boots a few months ago. They are Harry Hall Edlingtons, and they are great - they look smart and are comfortable, with a soft synthetic panel on the inside - no breaking in needed, which is just as well as I'm generally a once-a-week rider. They come up a little short on me, but I can feel the difference moving from jod boots and half-chaps in how I'm able to put my leg on.

Lol now I have visions of two pairs of wizened boots lying in a tack room!
Ben has been lame for nearly a year now and after all this time off you would have thought I would have cleared out the tack room and sorted my stuff out. But no, everything is still in chaos!

I just ended up getting the tredstep Donatello boots. They are really good but really expensive. A lot better than the rubber boots which I've had up until now. They are a small bit tight but the shop assistant told me that they have to be really tight when new. Has anyone else got a pair?

Not had Tredsteps but yes, they have to be tight to start with. The leather will "give" with time and use and they will "drop" which means that they win essentially become a lot more flexible around the ankle. Sometimes they can did into the back of your knee when you first ride in them but once they drop they'll be much more comfortable. You can buy heel risers which may help temporarily. You can also help the process along by walking around in them at home and/or wearing a pair of thick knee-length socks underneath to help with the stretch.

I've got mountain horse sovereigns in brown which I love and were comfy from day 1. I did have a pair of tredstep but they were horrible to break in and I never found them very comfy. Got a pair of broginis at only £100 that are fab, really soft at the ankles, took no breaking in. Not as good quality as the mountain horse but they are £200 less.

newrider.com