Leather Saddles and bouncing

Maisie

Feb 4, 2000
Singapore
www.svadilfari.net
Hi everybody, I'm back after a looong lay-off from New Rider. :eek: Anyway, I've noticed a subtle improvement in my riding and it's really quite a relief because I thought I was never going to get stuff like jumping.

Anyway, a horse at my riding school recently got its saddle changed, from a Wintec to this leather one. It's so much more difficult to sit in (especially the trot) because the leather feels very bouncy. Is this true of all leather saddles or am I just unused to it?

its probably true..or you are just unsed to it...ic ant really say because i ride with leather saddles most of the time and when i ride with a wintec saddle i use a wool seat saver to make it more comfy...i prefer leather saddles to the wintec ones..butt hena gain if i ride an icelandic with a leather saddle it tends to more more bouncy..bt the syntheic ones are less bouncy and more comfortable..hmmm
you'll get use to it :)

Why not buy one of Heather's seatbone savers. You can attach them easily to any saddle and I'm sure you'll find it'll stop the "bounce" you're encountering. You can purchase them via this site.

I have always ridden my mare in a leather saddle and about two weeks ago purchased a synthetic one and find the complete opposite. I find with my leather one I am moulded in but with the synthetic I seem to slide and bounce.

I think its just what you are used to and also how worn in the saddle is. I'm sure once I've used the synthetic one more then I will wear/shape it.

Personaaly, I think that windtec saddles make you stick in the seat alot more than leather. When I was teaching this summer, I had a girl riding english, and she was in a wintec. Whenever I rode at the stable, I used the nice letaher one, but it was too expensive for the kids to be using. ANyway, i wanted to illustrate to her that you can post without stirrups, so I got on and stated troting. Posting without stirrups has never been easier- I could grip so well!! She was amazed, and frankly, so was I!! :)

I still prefer letaher saddles over wintec thoug, just because I do. I jumped once in one, and it was very uncomfortable for me. I think it just depends on you.

Wintic Vs Leather

I used to always ride in leather saddles and than rode a friends horse quite often in a wintec saddle. The wintic was easy to sit to through the flat work... but when the jumping came along it would always bounce up because the horses really flicked up his hind end (almost like a deer) and the saddle was fairly light to stay in place. Maybe the saddle could use some conditioning...you should try a product called BIENENWACHS Lederplegre-Creme.. I know that sounds like Crazy talk... but it works really well. I don't know if any places in the GB sell it ... but possibly!I would try to get some it makes the saddle almost have a sticky, but yet smoothe feeling you should try it out! Good luck!

[Edited by Gracie on 31st Mar 2001 at 10:39 PM]

Bouncing In Leather Saddles

Oh, I hate this one school horses leather saddle, because it is SO UNCOMFORTABLE to sit trot in or canter in because it is SO HARD!! And it's been used for at least 5 years!

Maci :)

newrider.com