leather stirrup leathers on synthetic saddle?

Legs

Apr 9, 2007
south-east
Hi, I've just bought a new synthetic dressage saddle but really don't like synthetic leathers as I find they are a lot harder to slide when changing length. It says on the saddle not to use leather accessories so would it not be good for the saddle to use leather stirrup leathers and why? :s x

I too have heard this but I use my Bates leathers on my thorowgood!

Been doing so for a while and haven't noticed any damaged caused to either saddle or leathers

I *think* it's because the leather can make marks/stains on the synthetic,particularly if it get's wet for any reason.Not certain but seem to recall hearing that somewhere.

Must admit I have wondered about getting real leathers for my wintec,but I too am a bit worried as it's advised not to do so.

ditto devonlass...

But I use my looooovely soft leather leathers on my stallions wintec anyway and so far without issues...Can't stand synthetic leathers...they send shivers down my spine :eek:

Thinking about this, I'm wondering if perhaps what I was thinking as actually the opposite: that synthetic leathers can mark a leather saddle....?

I hope you can use real leather with a Wintec. I've got a Wintec dressage saddle and just ordered the Stubben mono leathers (webbers) - for which I need to thank this forum - I wouldn't have known such a thing existed before coming to NR! I'm hoping they'll solve the problem of that lump under my thigh (my thighs have enough lumps all on their own, thank you very much :)

I have always used leather stirrup leathers on my wintecs...one of them for the last 7 years and no sign of damage. I think it far more likely they say not to use leather so you have to buy their stirrup leathers....or is that just me being cynical..;)

Possibly.....but who would put synthetic leathers on a leather saddle! :eek:

(It's bad enough I had to hide my old Libbys synthetic bridle from Paul!!)

I know a few people who do :eek:

I wouldn't....but not sure thats to protect my leather saddle or just because I loathe synthetic leathers anyway :rolleyes::D

I used to ride in a wintec with leathers. However I would warn against buying the cheap leathers you can get. I picked up a pair of Indian stirrup leathers at Olympia for about £10 - they stretched in no time!

I used to ride in a wintec with leathers. However I would warn against buying the cheap leathers you can get. I picked up a pair of Indian stirrup leathers at Olympia for about £10 - they stretched in no time!

I'd say you're luck that stretching is all that happened lol - Have heard stories of cheaper leathers buckles breaking mid ride etc....ouch!

Wintec and leather

I bought a Wintec a last year and asked the same question of my saddler and they said it was just the issue of the leather marking the saddle, which I decided to take the risk on, because I hate Wintec stirrup leathers, I used them together and they were fine, there was a little bit of staining on the saddle, but to be honest, not a lot more than there would have been anyway.

I decided that as it was my saddle, and my comfort I would take the risk. Sold the saddle on fine too when my youngster change size so much it didnt work and purchaser never said anything about it.

I think if it is your saddle and you are happy with it marking, it is very much worth the risk.

I panicked when I read this, as i had never heard about this. I have only had 'leather' stirrup leathers and have had my synethic for a about a year with no problems (apart from usual stretching leathers :))

my jeffries leather "leathers" wrecked my thorowgood (mind you, was one of the first thorowgoods out, so maybe not as durable as newer models?). I use the wintec webbers on my synthetic dressage. The webbers are lovely and soft and haven't had any probs :)

newrider.com