leg position in jumping

maverick927

A Horse Mad FEMALE
Jun 5, 2002
Co. Antrim, N. Ireland
Is it just me, or when you learn to jump should your leg not take a position where it is beside the horse and stay there the whole time.
If you can see me legs in the picture, this is the way they should be.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:
Now compare to this rider who is jumpign big, so is obviously well experienced. I don't think that this is a good example to set to young riders, who see that untidy riding gets clear rounds. Where did our standards go! lol

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 421
Here's another one and you can still see that my legs are in a good position, and this is a rider that has had few lessons, not even close to a top rider.

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 412
You can't look to riders jumping the giant fences to model your positions after. At that level, they often have to do whatever is necessary to stay with their horse and get him over the fence. But whatever they look like when pushing the limits, I'm sure they didn't get there without years of drilling and perfecting position over the little fences.

Maverick, you look great! I thought that your leg position was supposed to stay the same all the way through the jump aswell, and not go back so far like the 1st professional one.. but.. I never know, he could be helping the horse out in some sort of way.

Its just in the 2nd pic, I can't understand how putting al you weight on the horses forehand could help them get over a fence. It also looks quite bad as well in the picture.

It does look like that rider is overbalancing but as others have said, you can't necessarily judge. My instructor was telling me about a top showjumper (I can't remember her name unfortunately) who used to jump ponies over huge jumps. She would have to pivot onto her knees and fling her feet up in the air to avoid kicking the jumps down with her feet! Apparently she was still in perfect balance etc, she just had to adapt so as not to interfere with the horse. However, sometimes you do see people jumping who are clearly unbalanced - you just hold your breath until they fall off!

yeah i would agree most good jumpers keep there legs in a the same position over the fences, but if your horse has taken the jump slightly worng, maybe not brought himself up properly you will find your position changes, well has to, to actually stay with the horse and get over the fence!!!

Many of the top riders develop a flair over fences which is unique to them. The principles are still there, just with differences. Kids who are smart will listen to their instructors and should adopt the correct position that you have in your pics, but as they move up the levels, whatever gets them over the fences, I suppose!! Look at John Whittaker!
I dont think that anyone would dare walk up to him and say, excuse me your legs are wrong, put them forward, because you are giving a bad example to learners!!

But I am not jumping on you Maverick, I totally see your point, but there are some others too :)

In showjumping, the name of the game is to jump clear and go fastest in the timed jump off. There are no points for style, grooming, conformation or smiling at the judge.

When you're going for broke over big fences, you do whatever you have to to get the job done.

Top show jump riders aren't out there to set a good example of style for novice riders, they're trying to win big money.

If you watch downhill skiing, you will see the same thing. If they were being judged on stylish technique, they would all lose. If you're looking for style and position, watch the subjective 'sport' of figure skating, where seniority, politics and 'artistic impression' decide.

newrider.com