leg up!

G33KKITTY

Feb 15, 2016
hi :)
My share horse is only 15 hands , I am 5 ft 1 and 15. 5 stone. I use a mounting block when ever I ride. How ever we have had a couple of times where I have had to dismount on a hack and my friend gave me a leg up to get on how ever I could not get the power in my leg to get myself on from the ground or to get on from a leg up!

I had to carry on walking until I found a large tree, then climb in the tree whilst my friend was laughing at me trying to get on with out my head being knocked off by a branch!

how do you guys get the flexability back in case of times when it needs to be done? or exercises

I'm 5'4" and my girl is 15.1, i guess I've retained some flexibility by doing it from a young age, though with fibromyalgia now I've found it harder and harder, even finding a little dip for jess to stand in can make it 10 times easier :) i would guess anything that strengthens your legs would help with mounting from the ground. A leg up shouldn't take much strength from the riders legs, as long as you time it right you should be pretty much pinged to a point you just slide your leg over swiftly.

I am 5ft 2 and my horse is 16.1hh. It is impossible for me to get on from the gound. I need a decent sized mounting block or a very high tree stump. There is no point in trying to improve my flexibility, it isn't going to happen!

I can now just about get on my 14hh pony from the ground:oops:. My excuse is that she wears a treeless saddle....
I remember actually getting on a 17.2hh from the ground when I was 30 :D

I can mount from the ground but it isn't pretty and I don't like the stress it puts on my pony's back. I always use a rock, banking or log when I can, even if I have to walk a bit to find one. (I'm 5ft 3 and my pony is 14hh)

When I worked at a trekking centre I could mount the big 16.2hh ers from the ground without even a bounce! Just foot in stirrup and up I'd go! I guess if I did it every day then I'd be more agile at it!

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
I'm another one who can't mount from the ground, although I always manage to find something to hop up onto, even if it is just a rock lol

I only get on with someone holding my stirrup or when I have something to stand on, NEVER from a leg up, oh no, that's just plain wrong ;) I have strategic fish boxes at the cattle grids about the place, :D

Reactions: Gimp
My pony is 14.2 and I can just about haul myself up there but I worry about his back. I am quite nimble at scrambling up fences etc for a lift.

Once, once only, I vaulted on to him bareback. You never saw anything so embarrassing!

Reactions: orbvalley
A leg up shouldn't take much strength from the riders legs, as long as you time it right you should be pretty much pinged to a point you just slide your leg over swiftly.
That just made me giggle, reminded me of the time my OH gave me a leg up and literally pinged me up and over the other side!
I don't mount from the ground either, I have to have Belle stand next to a fence or a tree stump/rock or like Jessey, put her in a slight dip usually does it if we are out hacking, she is only 14'2 though and I'm 5ft 6in. On the yard I always use a mounting block.

Reactions: Jessey
I might be able to mount from the ground by lengthening the stirrup a hole or two. But I have never ever fallen and off and found myself without something to stand on - a stump or bench or a slight rise in the ground. I've never fallen off Grace who is taller than my previous rides - but I will cross that bridge when I come to it. I have also on occasion walked back from a hack, leading the horse. That's no problem really.

However re leg up - I cant do a leg up either. It makes me feel unsafe. At some Western trail ride places they insist and once in famous Yellowstone National Park, I was banned from riding at all when they wouldnt let me mount from the fence instead. As it was a dull hack on flat ground we actually had a much better time on foot, that day.

Have you seen those stirrups that extend down like one tread on a ladder? this what my tiny RI used to use . you just pop the extension part back into the stirrup once your on.

I can just about heave myself on from the ground if I absolutely have to. But only if someone is holding the opposite stirrup because Albi has no profile so his saddle just spins (all hail Nuumed's anti-slip numnah!!)

However, I will avoid it at all costs and would rather walk half a mile un-hand to find something suitable to use as a mounting block.

Ha ha, I had to do this today for the saddler. I managed once with her holding the stirrup. The next time I found an old battery in the shelter and used it as a step. It was only about 6" high but it helped so much.

I am 5ft 2 and my horse is 16.1hh. It is impossible for me to get on from the gound. I need a decent sized mounting block or a very high tree stump. There is no point in trying to improve my flexibility, it isn't going to happen!
Hahaa..I can relate to this ..hip replacement and 16.3 horse lol I stand on top of a fence and step over :D

newrider.com