Legs!

Loveslayla

Dec 30, 2019
I’ve been having lessons for just over a year on/off... in Feb we got our own pony. over last few months we’ve been getting to know him and having gentle rides on roads and in the fields. Just as lockdown happened I was getting organised with a BHS instructor to help us.
thsnkfully yesterday we had our first lesson with him.

but I’ve come away confused with what to do with my legs.
When turning right she said leg on girth and left leg ( outside leg behind girth) and if he verres off to use the outside leg to knock him on.. and vice Versa.. And using ur weight in the saddle which makes sence

But the old riding school teacher never taught me this..

I’m getting confused

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Your new instructor is right. I'm guessing your old school taught you just to pull the rein in the direction you wanted to go? In the ideal world most of your aid should be from the leg and seat, it makes for a more balanced ride which is more comfortable for both of you. Just be careful not to exaggerate the leg or seat too much, horses are sensitive enough to feel small changes as long as we sit still most of the time, so no swinging your outside leg miles back or overdoing a seat aid that will probably sort itself out when you use your legs correctly. I'm sure when you've had a few lessons and practiced inbetween it won't seem at all confusing :)

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Yep your legs are helping to give bend throughout the body, just pulling on the rein tends to have them falling through the shoulder and going off balance, often seen as not so much of an issue for a low level riding school horse but balance is definitely desirable and will make your ride much more enjoyable and easier.

Reactions: Kite_Rider

Loveslayla

Dec 30, 2019
So this evening we tried to put into practice what we were taught etc yesterday..
Managed to use seat much more and the legs sort of naturally followed..

Archie is a bit naughty as will try his luck and go his own way.. I definitely found using the legs, body and rein by the end of our ride he was less inclined to take off on his own direction... felt much more control. He is a strong lad.. still a long way to go to get it right... I know I lean forward and my heels come up but hopefully will get there.

thanks for the help folks

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
By controlling his body you'll have so much more control than if you just try to move his head and neck. You'll also find that as you have more control he becomes more balanced and that in turn will make him lighter in your hand and less strong. It might not be quick but in a year you'll look back and be so impressed with what you've done :)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
domane Aldi - Jods/Legs...late to the party! Cafe 1
Ale How can you detect early mud fever without washing legs? Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 5
Ale Rain scald on legs? Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 10
MrC Legs update Cafe 5
F Boot zips hurt my legs Cafe 8
domane Ooof, my legs!!! Cafe 5
AmandaLouise How to stop my 10 yr old daughters pony from putting his head between his legs & bolting off?? Training of the Horse and Rider 12
Johara50 Sensitive back legs Confidence Club 12
L 4 four legs filled... Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 12
Ale Possibly a silly question, boots and muddy legs? Tack & Saddlery 4
Jane&Ziggy Clipping all over (or just legs) in Spring Cafe 9
Juliaa Legs coming up! First Timers 2
N Show us your legs :-) Horse Care 20
Jessey Rain legs users Cafe 4
LyndaB IDEAS TO STRENGTHEN LEGS, WORKING HORSE. Training of the Horse and Rider 3
U Returning adult rider with weak legs or no legs at all.. Older Riders 13
J Total mystery of swollen legs that have turned into lesions :( Help! Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 15
Jessey Greasy legs Horse Care 6
Jane&Ziggy Itchy legs and fetlocks - UPDATED FOR VET VISIT Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 30
SeeingSpots Little Legs had her brave pants on today!! Cafe 11
L bandages or stable boots for filled legs? Horse Care 8
D Jumping Saddles for Short Legs Tack & Saddlery 15
JMR77 To hog or not to hog & legs Horse Care 33
chunky monkey Noromectin on the legs Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 6
Ale Stamping legs... Horse Care 12
Hayley and Tello How to Clean stubborn mud from legs? Horse Care 12
squidsin Warm legs Cafe 7
W Wiggling Legs Training of the Horse and Rider 6
domane "Rain Legs"... Cafe 10
Jessey How long are your legs? Cafe 25
N Show Us Your Legs Cafe 23
Dark Storm What do you think of his legs? Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 4
clare123 Buying trousers for those with 'riders legs' Cafe 14
Trewsers Invasion of the Daddy Long Legs....... Cafe 2
T Strengthening legs again Training of the Horse and Rider 0
Rubic clean legs...should I use bandages?! Horse Care 6
K Building muscle on hind legs Training of the Horse and Rider 7
diamonddogs Solo comb on legs? Horse Care 7
popularfurball What is this on his legs? Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 48
P Crazy right hand/both legs (vids) Training of the Horse and Rider 12
popularfurball Plaiting legs - avoid or not a problem? Cafe 9
CheriFen using my legs Training of the Horse and Rider 6
D almost 2 hours to clip 2 legs agh!!! Horse Care 0
D Very very sore legs Horse Care 11
tazzy-anne Back legs giving way ***new vids inc trot*** Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 54
N What Do You Do With Your Legs? Bareback Cafe 10
beakysian Boots for weedy legs Cafe 15
B Mites in legs Horse Care 12
G Recommend me some half chaps for chunky legs Cafe 13
laceyfreckle Clipping legs with Liveryman Element clippers - questions Horse Care 5