Lesson today...got any advice? Confidence not great - 1st lesson in 4yrs

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
I have my first lesson in 4yrs this afternoon. and only my second lesson in the last 9yrs.

Anyone got any ideas/tips I am getting severely nervous!

It doesn't really help that last time I rode Harvey he reared and was generally a plank (spooky, napping). He also ran off with my sharer while schooling the other week, napping back to the stable yard. I'm pretty sure it was down to a feed change that has now been changed again but even so :confused: (and he had had calmer too)

The instructor knows I am lacking confidence. (I lack confidence/ger nervous about riding but when actually riding am not that unconfident but if something happens then it doesn't affect me until later on that day...then it make's the next time I ride more difficult for me to actually get on and ride.

Also I'm aware riding has probably changed a lot in the last few years!

best advice I can give is to trust your RI (as long as they are experienced and sensible). good luck and relax (easier said than done I know).:)

I think that you just need to go with an open mind and try to relax. Be 100% honest with your instructor and don't expect too much from yourself. It's great that you are starting lessons again and I hope that you enjoy and most importantly benefit from them.

Sure you will be fine, your RI will be able to tell so much from the ground, that should be of huge benefit to you.

My daughter has lessons on her pony and it is definately money very well spent.

I haven't had a lesson in over 20 years, god knows what a RI would think of me.:eek::eek:

Try to relax and enjoy it, you said that you're not so bad on the horse, its afterwards that things can affect you? Try not to re-hash everything you do in your lesson, remember you're there to make mistakes and learn from them.

I sometimes feel like a right muppet in my lessons, but we've got to remember that that's the whole point of having the lessons, to learn.

Most of all, just enjoy it :) let us know how you get on

I've recently started to have private lessons on my own horse - well, i say recently - since about March. yep - things have changed since I learnt to ride but I made sure that my RI knows that i ride for FUN and nothing more - I will never be a top dressage rider but i need to be able to stay on, dont really care what i look like as long as i'm still in the saddle at the end of the ride!.

I had my first fall in 17 years the other day - that was my fault not my boys and if i had been balanced then I wouldn;t have gone out the side door - hey ho.

It's also part of being a mother that makes you lose confidence i'm sure of it:eek: its the "what ifs "etc that really can knock you

Hope that you've had fun this afternoon

^ shame that I no longer live in Dorking - Archie and I could have joined you for happy hacks!

Used to spend hours on North Holmwood Common, we also used to ride through the Glory Woods and get letters from the council asking us not to:eek: But I was very young at the time!!

We also used to hack up to Ranmore - guess the roads down there are a lot busier these days

newrider.com