lesson today - new instructor - nervous

grandmarider

Oct 6, 2015
i have been riding for 11 years and i am still a very nervous rider. my reason is to bond with my daughter and granddaughter who both ride. I had a instructor that i thought was very patient and could read me and the horses very well. He became ill and is no longer working and i had 2 other instructors the past couple times and i didn't feel as comfortable. They were young and i did explain that i am a nervous rider, but i felt like the horse i usually ride ran off with me. She was really trotting fast and wanted to canter. When i cantered and i couldn't get her to stop. My old instructor would have had me get the horse calm. The instructor got on and said since the horse is only rode once a week (except therapeutic lesssons that she needed to have an experienced rider get on. She had to ride her around a few times to calm her. I felt the other instructor could tell how the horse was and have me walk trot to have her listen. It was somewhat of a step backwards for me. They are trying me with a different instructor today as i spoke to the manager and explained that i'm older and i need a patient instructor who can help with my issues. I'm sure the horse can feel my nerves too. They are going to try me on another horse today that they said might be a better fit. I wish to ride with no fear and confidence. I do remind myself that there aren't many grannies out there riding so im doing better than most - but its scarey for me.

Im sorry you are having lesson problems @grandmarider - anything that saps your confidence isn't good. Horses are fantastic at picking up our nerves, there is a saying 'what happens in your brain, travels down the rein' and it's so true, maybe that was why the horse you normally ride was not feeling good to you. To be honest Im surprised if you have confidence issues that the school put you on a horse that needed 'calming down' you would have thought they would have found you one that was calm and sensible really, lets hope that the new horse they try you on is much calmer and that you get on with the instructor too.
Good luck, don't forget to breathe and enjoy it.

Reactions: Trewsers
I hope it works out with another HORSE.
That was a big shake to your confidence.
I totally understand on the I instructor you had and felt comfortable with to really read the horse and help you along.
I do hope you can develop that good feeling with this person.

I had a great trainer working with Me and Andi at the old HOUSE.
He read her very well and he worked with her first then I got on.
I felt very good on him reading her to not shake my confidence.
Sadly he is really too far away now.
I want to take western dressage lessons on Sonny with a trainer I've seen work with another person's horse.
I like her but have not worked with her yet.
If we get on good I am hoping she might be a good fit to work with me and Andi
But Andi is a bit of an opportunist and I need someone like Jeff was that I feel very safe WITH if I'm Going to ride Andi.

Lots of vibes for your future rides.

Reactions: Trewsers
my lesson went well... my instructor was very helpful and i told her my story... i did alot of trot and worked on position, this horse didn't want to stay on the rail - but was responsive. I got off and my instructor cantered. I said i wanted to try and got it right going counter clock wise - but couldn't pick up the clockwise - she said i looked good and have some stuff that i can work on (don't we all)

my lesson went well... my instructor was very helpful and i told her my story... i did alot of trot and worked on position, this horse didn't want to stay on the rail - but was responsive. I got off and my instructor cantered. I said i wanted to try and got it right going counter clock wise - but couldn't pick up the clockwise - she said i looked good and have some stuff that i can work on (don't we all)

Well that's a good lesson then, well done and I'm pleased it went well for you.

I'm also thrilled went well.

To horse not wanting to stay on the rail.
It's amazing how many people don't stay on the rail or go deep into corners.

A+++++ to you.and it's great the horse was responsive.

newrider.com