lesson today - no all confused - Diagonals????

sprollie

Jul 29, 2007
chester le street, durham
Hiya

I had a fab lesson today but have found out i've been doing my diagonals totally wrong the whole time??

please could someone clarify?

I've always thought that riding a left rein circle in rising trot you "sit" as the inside front leg comes underneath you to help balance the horse but was told today that the opposite was true .
i,e was told to lift and rise into the trot as the outside front leg moves forwards ( so would be in the "rise" phase when front inside leg was back and underneath)

now confused and can't get my head around it, soz to be a divvy :confused:

Rise and fall with the leg near the wall

In other words when the outside front leg goes forward you should rise and when it comes back you should sit, no idea why though :eek: sorry

In other words when the outside front leg goes forward you should rise and when it comes back you should sit, no idea why though :eek: sorry

This is what I've been taught as well. I think the theory is that if you rise when the outside fore is moving forward you are sitting when the outside hind is moving forward. This gives you the chance to use your leg and make the horse step under itself creating impulsion etc. I may be completely wrong though!!:)

"In other words when the outside front leg goes forward you should rise and when it comes back you should sit"

This is what I was taught a couple of weeks ago when we covered it. I can get it sometimes but other times can just not get it to work

Last edited:
i remember it like a sum boxes
the outside leg of the horse is one
the rider is one

i remember it as the boxes should close together, and they should go into the middle at the same time.
Sorry this is the best i can really describe it but it works for me

newrider.com