Lesson Today with New Instructor

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
We moved three weeks ago yesterday to a new yard.

Actually Tobes has been quite stressy, very in your face with me, and it is all quite wearing.

I do understand he is unsettled, however, we have had to go back a bit to NH. Trying to pick his feet out or undo his rug when tied up outside, he barges forward. So have had to consistently make him back up. Four times it took tonight for him to stand still. He is constantly on high alert and if I ever suggest moving again ........... DON'T LET ME!!!!

Today I walked him down the long track between several paddocks of horses. This track is VERY scarey apparantly, even in company, it is a bit of a stress.

My friend was going to come and collect me at 7.30 but she is a nightmare for getting up ........... instructor was coming to her arena for 8am, and it is a 15 minute distance between us.

Tobes and I were punctually down the bottom for 7.30, and at 7.40 I got on him and he snacked on grass quite happily. I opted to go out through the big wide entrance to let him snack and was all prepared to go on and meet her half way. Then a great big brown dog whipped in to the entrance giving poor Tobes the fright of his life. He whipped around at a hundred miles an hour and galloped off. I did stop him, made him walk back part ways and he calmed down. Friend arrived and we hacked back to her house.

The lesson was very interesting and I do very much rate her as an instructor. Pretty much the first thing she said to me was that neither Tobes or I really knew who was in charge and that was a problem. I have never had an issue like this really. I love Tobes but he is wilful, obstinate and stubborn as well as being spooky and fairly flighty. I guess really, although we have come on loads, he still has the ability to scare me and I am just not positive enough. I absolutely agree with her analysis, and she added that neither of us are hugely happy with that set up.

She said he doesn't move off my leg and he is putting the equivalent of the equine two fingers up at me when I ask, and she is right.

My instructions were to ask him once and if he didn't respond to smack him hard twice, and when I got a response to pat him. She did add that I might not always get the response I was asking for, but it would be a response. This does appear to be working because toward the end of the lesson, he was more responsive to my leg.

I was dripping with sweat by the end of the lesson which friend and I shared.

She maintains that once I get forward, the napping and spooking will cease.

My hands are another problem. I do not keep them still enough, so she gave me lots to work on.

The only light at the end of the tunnel was when friend was told she tips her shoulders forward too much and she agreed that she did that though she knew she shouldn't and instructor said that most people do, unless you were me who sat perfectly all the time. However, with my wavering hands, lack of clarity and not enough leadership, sitting is really neither here nor there!!!

So I will definitely have more lessons with her. She is a dressage judge and not so hung up on immediately having the horse working on a contact. She sees the problems pretty much as soon as you arrive and works from the bottom up, so whilst I feel a bit pants about being such a poor leader, I completely understand what she is saying and think it is fab that she sees so much.

I'm sorry sjp, but I did snigger when I read the two fingers up to you bit. That sounds quite familiar! At least you know a great deal of his behaviour just now, is because he's a touch unsettled, but give it a few months and you'll be back the fearless twosome we all know you to be (with a wilful tobes almost always towing the line lol!)
I'm thinking your friend being late next time, might be your ideal opportunity to give this solo stuff another try. I swear it gets easier the more you try, and tobes will chill out when he realises you're confident. Dog or no dog there to scare him.

She sounds like a really good teacher. Actually sounds like a pretty positive lesson - at least once the problems are identified, you know what you're working with.

I'm dreading moving Poppy in October. I know she'll regress back to being a spooky mess for a bit - oh well, just got to get on with it I guess!

newrider.com