Lesson with Dylan (with pics ;) )

M

mu0ljk

Yesterday I went for a lesson with somebody who had been recommended to me.

It was the first time Dylan had been out in the trailer on his own and bar a bit of a paddy before we left (neighing, kicking.... :eek: ) he settled down ok. I got him out and tacked up and got on and he seemed quite calm and we stood for a bit watching the lesson before me (HUGE jumps going on) and then Jane came over and we decided to go into the school and see how he was and then possibly move into a field as the school was very dry and deep for his little pony legs! :p

It turned out that he was fine - we walked, trotted and cantered with no problems so we moved out into the field. I had told her that I was struggling to keep my lower leg forward - it keeps slipping back and then I tip forwards ....and it all goes wrong!

Interestingly she made me put my stirrups up a hole after having been told to lower them continually at home and she got me walking round and using my legs to get an active walk and then my hands just to gently ask for his head to lower. Once we achieved that we moved into trot and so we rushed off as fast as posible :rolleyes: and she got me to bring him all together into a lovely shape - I felt like we were just floating along! Then he started showing off and throwing in some spanish walks which she loved! :D (only thing is - i don't know how to ask for it or how to get him not to do it! ).

Then we did a bit of canter work and then moved over to the dressage arena and worked around and then in that - working on our straight lines which ...erm..aren't!

I really enjoyed it and felt like I got a lot out of it. They have lots of space to work in too - an outdoor school, several fields with x-country jumps and they are having a big indoor school being built too - so 'm definately going to go back! :)

Right, here's the bit you've been waiting for ;)

Warming in in the field
dylanlesson8.jpg

bit more collected
dylanlesson6.jpg

into trot
dylanlesson5.jpg

into canter
dylonlesson3.jpg

ok lets try a nice square halt...

erm..not quite...
dylanlesson.jpg

not bad but you're looking the wrong way and what am I doing!?!
dylanlesson1.jpg

Sooo...I look down and you look up Dylan...no that's not it!!
dylanlesson7.jpg

Ah well, that will have to do - more practice!
dylonlesson2.jpg

And a couple of videos - they are quite long and all I do is trot I'm afraid!!

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b285/mu0ljk/Dylan/?action=view&current=HPIM5869.flv

He was a little distracted by tracters behind the hedge here!
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b285/mu0ljk/Dylan/?action=view&current=HPIM5877.flv

Thanks for looking! Feel free to critique nicely :)

Last edited by a moderator:
good ole bump!;)

it wouldnt be much use for me to critique you im not very god at it and everything i say sounds over critical!

is your horse black? i love his white socks!

would you normally ride in a field or an arena?

well i say sit up straight head back and keep your elbows off the table.
how was that critique ;) well later

The yard where I keep him has a school but I like to ride in the field as well as the school. The outdoor school there was very dry and dusty which was why we went in the field.
I haven't had him very long - and I imagine his socks won't stay very white in the winter! :p

Mathew, what do you mean by keep the elbows off of the table?? :confused: YOu're right about my head though - I'm terrible at looking down al the time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank-you! That was the first time I have done lots of trotting and cantering without feeling nervous in the field so now I just have to give it a go at home now. :eek:

when im working in a field and i know the horse is nervous or unsure we have a good ole walk around the field and a good glare at everything that might potentially cause excitement or a spook.

then they almost always settle and once they do we trot the same circuit. when you want to slow up do it anywhere the horse is less than certain of (they'll be glad to stop and wont be as bothered by that scary plastic bag!)

you should have no probs cantering cos by then they will be like BAH! this ole field. you'll also have settled your own nerves cos man sometimes fields look so huge!

Thanks for your advice :)

you'll also have settled your own nerves cos man sometimes fields look so huge!

Tell me about it!! :D I was fine in my lesson so logically :rolleyes: I should be ok on my own! Though I know it doesn't always work like that! :eek:

newrider.com